dougweil

Well Known Member
Hey gang,

I have a Tru Trak Digiflight II circa 2010 in my RV7 which has worked flawlessly for 1200 hours. It is linked to an AFS 4500 but can also operate independently. Yesterday returning from Michigan it lost pitch control (drifted off altitude and/or VNAV path. Test flight this morning shows pitch servo is intermittent but works most of the time. Stein of SteinAir thinks it might be the shear screw or bad pitch servo. Error did show up on the ground during a test. Here’s a video of that test. BUT…. When I tested it again it was fine.

Thoughts???

Hey gang,

I have a Tru Trak Digiflight II circa 2010 in my RV7 which has worked flawlessly for 1200 hours. It is linked to an AFS 4500 but can also operate independently. Yesterday returning from Michigan it lost pitch control (drifted off altitude and/or VNAV path. Test flight this morning shows pitch servo is intermittent but works most of the time. Stein of SteinAir thinks it might be the shear screw or bad pitch servo. Error did show up on the ground during a test. Here’s a video of that test. BUT…. When I tested it again it was fine.

Thoughts???
Typically, servos aren’t intermittent…not saying it’s impossible, just improbable.

I would look for a potential broken or partially seated wire on the servo / controller connectors.

It could also be the shear screw has sheared and has just enough torque to perform a little.

My big question is when it does work does it have the normal amount of torque or is it easy to override?

You can email me at my work email address in my signature if you would like…I don’t monitor VAF too much these days, but Roy Thoma keeps his eyes open for me! (Thanks Roy!!!)