pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
I asked the wrong question about the Pictorial Pilot. I'm curious about the pitch sensitivity with the ADI Pilot from Tru Trak? Are any of you flying with one and, if so, is it suitable for IMC use without a vacuum or electric AH?
Regards,

It is different from a regular AI that is for sure. Essentially as you probably already know, the pitch up and down is an indication of actual rate of climb.

I have only flown my ADI for about 5 hours IMC. I started out in VMC of course and got used to the reaction of the instrument. I found the pitch up and pitch down quite aggressive. Meaning that a 1000 fpm climb shows a pitch up of more than I expected.

Once used to the ADI I started flying IMC and found it very easy. Its very reactive and the pitch up for vertical speed I find much easier.

The only thing I don't like is the flashing arrow when you go beyond 30 degrees bank. I would prefer to go at least 45 before seeing that arrow.
Besides that I love it.

As far as a backup, I have no AI backup. It does have an internal battery. I also have a T&B. Having a second regular AI (elec.) wouldn't be a bad idea in any aircraft but now I find the reg. AI hard to fly. Last week I flew Diamond DA40 and the reg. AI I had to get readjusted to. Having to transition when one fails in the aircraft would take some practice. As far as a vacuum backup that does not make sense to me.

Steve
RV7A
100 hrs

Last edited:
Sort of right and sort of wrong....

The ADI uses GRYO data for the instantaneous pitch information and is appropriately displayed as pitch information right away if the airplane moves in the pitch axis at all. The vertical speed calculation only comes into effect after a given number of seconds in a particular pitch attitude. I fly behind one frequently and if you keep the little airplane centered there is no way you can get into an unusual attitude...period.

Cheers,
Stein.

I've been flying my RV-4 with the TruTrak ADI Pilot2 for
6 months now and have a electric wing leveler indicator and VSI as a cross check and wouldn't hesitate using it
hard IFR. It is a great addition to ease the workload in
these aircraft that are very sensitive on the controls and
once you learn how the autopilot works and its limitations
you will be amazed at how much more enjoyable a long
flight becomes.

Larry

ADI 2.25 Not Available yet

The ADI 2.25 is not available yet. They are getting close to having a prototype flying, but not shipping yet. I'm hopping for Sun & Fun.

The 2.25 Turn and Bank is available (No Pitch).

Waiting like the rest of you!
Best
Alex D.