Eagleflip

Hi all--

I did a search for answers on this topic before starting this thread, but did not find the answer.

I'm co-owner in a RV-6A built in 98 by a very competent builder, and the instruments installed are high quality. However, the previous owner--and now we--have experienced problems with the Heading Indicator over the past few years.

We went so far as to have the HI refurbished within the past 4 months, but it is now (again) precessing excessively, to the tune of 30 degrees in 5 minutes.

The suction gauge reads 5 psi, and there is a filter in the system to ensure that contaminates don't enter the instrument. We had the lines checked at the instrument side and the suction was fine. (I want to get this tested once again to make sure, though...)

What are your thoughts as to the culprit? Do you think the suction gauge could simply be broken regardless of the test that was accomplished? Or, assuming it is working, is there a chance that the tubing to the HI may be collapsing/broken? Other ideas?

No, we don't have enough $ to replace it with that beautiful electronic panel!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Sam

What are you comparing it to? If a mag compass you might want to check it for accuracy and make sure nothing magnetic has been introduced near it