Stormy

Anyone have trouble with a Garmin 396/496 not picking up any Sats. Downloaded the Jepp update and the latest software update and still will not pick up any Sats. Anyone run into this and is there something else that I could try before sending it back to Garmin?

Try using the remote antenna to see if it will help. Also, make sure the stubby antenna is straight up.

Try this

I had the same problem a while back, with my 496 until I downloaded the new version 3.5 software with Garmin's help over the phone.

Meanwhile, try pushing the on button and the zoom out button at the same time and holding them both until the unit comes on...that's what Garmin's site said for the 496 and it may not work on the 396. This resets the sattelite acquisition system. Otherwise you may just have to wait 'til Monday,

Regards,

Is the date correct for GPS? I have had to reset the date a couple of times on my 396. Will not aquire sat's if date is incorrect. Tells how to reset in the book.:)
Dave (Swift)

Troubleshooting from Garmin

These were the directions I was sent when I had issues:

When you turn the GPS on, it will power up to the GPS tab in the Main Menu. If you are seeing very few satellites acquiring or the strength is relatively weak, you may need to reposition the antenna or reset the satellite or system data. If part of the satellite almanac data (or operating system) is corrupted, it will cause the unit to drop satellite reception and/or reset (power off). The following resolutions should resolve the issue. The first resets the satellite almanac data, the next resets the entire unit (erasing all user data), and the last re-installs the operating system from our website. Try each one to see if it resolves the issue.

Satellite Reset - With the unit off, press and hold the Zoom OUT button while turning the unit on. This will reset the satellite data.

(Before doing any of the procedures listed below, you may want to backup your user data - waypoints, routes, tracks - as it is usually erased during the following procedures. This is easily done if you have one of our computer Mapsource software products. It can then be reloaded later.)

Master Reset - With the unit off and all cables disconnected and any datacard removed, press and hold the OUT+QUIT+NRST buttons. Tap the POWER button once for about .5 - 1 second. (The unit will beep and power up to a shaded screen.) Continue holding the OUT+QUIT+NRST buttons for about 6 - 8 seconds and then release. If the unit powers off or refuses to power up to full brightness, remove and re-install the battery and perform this reset procedure only one more time. Again remove and re-install the battery. The unit should now function properly. After this is done, enable the WAAS function and take it outside to let it acquire the satellite signals for about 10 minutes.

Unit Software Update - To do the Unit Software update, remove any datacard (if installed) and follow the steps below. Make sure to read all warnings as this update may erase all routes, waypoints, and tracks in the unit.

1. Go to our website at http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=921.

2. Follow this link through the download process.

3. Save the file in a location on your computer that can be easily found - I suggest the Desktop.

4. Find the downloaded file on your computer and run it (double click).

5. Select USB if that is how the GPS is connected to the computer.

6. Make sure the GPS is turned on - simulator on.

This update may take a minute to complete. After this is done, enable the WAAS function and take it outside to let it acquire the satellite signals for about 10 minutes.

When this happened with mine, it would come up with a dialog box with the choices "start simulator" or "stored without battery" or something to that effect. Choose "stored without battery" and the system will reset and acquire satelites. This is a bit quicker than turning it off and going through the manual reset.

I took off yesterday afternoon and had the identical problem with my 396.

I had version 3.6 software on it.

After some work last night, I realized the clock stopped functioning around Feb 13th.

I updated the firmware to 4.4.

The clock updated and everything took off as it should.

Phil