Echo Tango

Well Known Member
Ordered this set as a hand squeezer riveting/dimpling set.

Only one problem: I can't get the "ram" die (the one that moves) to come anywhere near the stationary die. closest I can get them is about 1/2" from one another. I've played with the adjustment screw/nut, taken the unit apart and put it back together several times and I'm just not seeing any further adjustment.

I can't believe they would ship a rivet squeezer with yokes and dies that would only rivet 3/4" long rivets and would be incapable of dimpling :confused:

Surely, I'm missing something.

5022-dx.jpg

Last edited:
Ols school method

If you do not have an adjustable set holder, you need to use washers under the dies.

If you do not have an adjustable set holder, you need to use washers under the dies.

i can certainly try this. obviously a new builder here. one of the product descriptions i read before purchasing was boasting about how no shims were required. oh well. thank you!

Are you familiar with how the adjustable set holder works???

The "plunger" part of the unit, where you insert one of the dies, is screwed in or out to make the adjustment.

471.jpg

Try closing the handle of the squeezer, so the "plunger" comes up where you can get hold of it. Try to screw it out of the unit a few turns, this is how you adjust the squeezer for different rivet sizes.

Also, there are different sizes of dies/sets.

If it will not turn, you probably will need to do the washer thing.

Also, have you contacted the Mfg??

Last edited:
Are you familiar with how the adjustable set holder works???

The "plunger" part of the unit, where you insert one of the dies, is screwed in or out to make the adjustment.

Try closing the handle of the squeezer, so the "plunger" comes up where you can get hold of it. Try to screw it out of the unit a few turns, this is how you adjust the squeezer for different rivet sizes.

Also, there are different sizes of dies/sets.

If it will not turn, you probably will need to do the washer thing.

Also, have you contacted the Mfg??

i spent 5 minutes trying to find the customer support number and couldn't come up with anything. this would all be easier if it shipped with a 3x5 card on basic operation :p

im guessing you're right as the plunger has a machined flat surface on the sides which looks mighty inviting for a wrench! thanks for the help, im going to go run downstairs now and try it!

SUCCESS!

thanks mike

You are welcome, glad I could be of assistance to you.:D

One thing, try to keep the adjustment run in as much as you can, take up any "slack" with a thicker set or die, then fine tune with the adjustable holder. The farther you run the holder out, the more stress it puts on the remaining threads in the adjustment part of the assembly.

Now, go squeeze some rivets!!

Last edited:
I don't know the ATS squeezer, but Avery and Tatco squeezes adjust by spinning the ram (moving part) to reduce or increase the space between the dies.

Yes!

I was just going to say the same thing. Over time, using it with few threads engaged will take its toll. Fortunately, I think the screw is a standard socket-head cap screw so it is easily replaced. But do always keep the ram threaded as far into the mechanism as possible.

One thing, try to keep the adjustment run in as much as you can, take up any "slack" with a thicker set or die, then fine tune with the adjustable holder. The farther you run the holder out, the more stress it puts on the remaining threads in the adjustment part of the assembly.

Now, go squeeze some rivets!!