Ron B.

Well Known Member
I would like to know why sales people that have a situation over their head just do not pass the customer on to one with the knowledge for the task.
I called ACS Canada firstly and gave them my request. I exchanged my funds for the Avionics package that we thought Van's would be supplying. Now after paying my bank to convert from CDN to US , I do not feel like doing it again to go from US to CDN. To which ACS Canada said "only CDN" funds.
I phoned the California store and asked to speak to someone familiar with shipping across the border and the sales person said that they would have to ask farther up (instead of passing me along to them) and the response was no problem to purchase in USD from either US stores and that they would ship to the CDN branch and I would pay tax and shipping from there to my door.
After over a week of every question asked needing to go to higher management and finally getting my quote today, I get informed the same shipping applies that I got from the CDN store in two minutes. I realize this is not a common situation that all sales people could deal with and that is why this sales person should have handed it off to someone that knows about shipping across the border.
I'm not pleased and am hoping Mr. Irwin reads this and can give me a definitive answer on this matter. If someone has his mail address could you PM me please. I had it but it went with my last computer.

P.S. Anyone know how ACS can receive payments from us and not pay a fee for using VISA? Every other business in the world looses 1% to 2 % if using VISA for payments, but ACS has no fee, so says this sales person.

Ron, I emailed ACS last fall on how they were losing business to other vendors with excessive pricing and shipping charges for an identical product. Almost immediately Jim Irwin responded directly to me by email and thanked me for bringing up the issues. You might try that route.

P.S. Anyone know how ACS can receive payments from us and not pay a fee for using VISA? Every other business in the world looses 1% to 2 % if using VISA for payments, but ACS has no fee, so says this sales person.
I'd bet the sales person you talked to doesn't work in the accounting department.

They had to check higher up and that's what they came back with. My question was " why does ACS have a $25 fee for bank drafts and not for using visa"? I told them this would not be a deal breaker but I was curious as to why they prefer Credit cards over a bank draft. The way I see it on a purchase of $20,000 plus, one would create a lots in revenue using a credit card of app. $300 , verses a transfer fee of $25. My business would rather swallow $25 rather than $300. Maybe it's just me.

Called management and same answer and more. This guy tried to tell me they (ACS) has to pay a duty for bringing goods in to Canada. I told them no way, they pay GST, not a duty (free trade). Goods and services are a tax that we all pay on goods in Canada. If they pay GST at on the cost of the goods at the border they bill me the GST at the sale price (which is more) and get their money back and send Revenue Canada the balance. He tried to tell me they would have to pay this twice and cannot do that. What twice I told him. A few people at ACS are getting filled with ****.
Considering with going to my next closest quote for my order just to get clear of this. I have been doing business with ACS for a long time and no problems that could not be resolved, but being given bull information so they do not have to keep their deal on shipping is getting to me.
Moderators can move this to Rant and Rave if you like.

Last edited:
Now after paying my bank to convert from CDN to US , I do not feel like doing it again to go from US to CDN.
I think this is the root of your problem. ACS isn't set up to take US funds at the Canadian store, nor vice-versa. You want them to do extra work for you, because you don't feel like using their usual processes. And you don't want to be charged extra.

I think this is the root of your problem. ACS isn't set up to take US funds at the Canadian store, nor vice-versa. You want them to do extra work for you, because you don't feel like using their usual processes. And you don't want to be charged extra.
No definitely not my beef. Yes I am in a different spot than usual. That is why I called ACS Canada and accepted there refusal due to CDN funds. All I did was call ACS USA and told them of my predicament and my wishes to purchase in US funds and have the shipment go as usual thru the path to the CDN store. I also made it very clear to the US ACS that the CDN refused the offer. The sales person then went to their superior and returned with a no problem. I then spent over a week working out what I needed (large order) and waiting for a quote on a package deal. Once the deal was made, To make sure one final time I summarized the shipping arrangement we had agreed on to have this transaction on print. The sales person just matter of factly said, you have two options (1) CDN funds @ Cdn store (2) US funds @ US store and you pay all shipping and brokerage. No apologies nothing, and after almost two weeks working on this that's what got me upset. I thought I could work something out with a manager, but he had no experience with anything related to shipping into Canada and in my opinion tried to fill me with bull.
He kept saying we have good options for you. The only option I have if I do this purchase is the same one that was available to me the day ACS open there door. Purchase in US funds and pay the shipping and brokerage.
To make myself clear the only problem I have is that ACS is not keeping their word on shipping and is not providing me with a viable reason why not to. I can certainly see why they would not want to do this for all orders and perhaps not even for this one, but they said they would and they should carry through.

Last edited:
To finish things off on this post, I received the official message from Mr. Irwin and he is happy with the way his employee handled my order. Story ends, thanks for listening.
Ron