f1rocket

Well Known Member
Looks like the weather will cooperate this weekend and allow me one more trip before winter sets in. I plan to fly to Virginia and/or North Carolina on Friday. One of the stops planned is at Kill Devil Hill so I can pay homage to the first experimental to fly.

main02.jpg

I'm looking for suggestions on other places to stop and/or stay. Pretty much anything in the two state area is possible so for those who know, what else should I stop? I plan to return home Sunday. Monday's weather looks bad back here in Indiana but I could wait it out until Tuesday or Wednesday if need be.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Randy, 53VG is an inviting place and you are welcome to overnight is that fits your plans. If the grass runway is intimidating, KMFV is 2.4nm away and I can provide ground transportation. I also keep 89 zero-e on hand.

Nothing fancy around there's parts - it's just relaxed farm country.

Last edited:
Hi Randy!

Not sure of your route but if you come through the NE corner of TN (0A4) I'll pick you up for lunch or whatever you might need!! Your Rocket lives close by... could show you my unpainted one!! And ??? we have fuel at 4.99!!

runway has been sealed and striped, not perfect but plenty nice!

Greg

Ocracoke on the Outer Banks. Quite a few of our ships were torpedoed as they passed the island, in WW11,

Best,

Central NC 8A7

We have a home on Twin Lakes airport (8A7) in central NC with a spare room for overnight, fuel ect.. There is a great BBQ resturant at Gilliam McConell airport near Fayetville if your near there and hungry. 8A7 where we live is 20 minutes from the Blueridge mountains, Pilot mountain and other nice fall foilage viewing. Vlad has stayed with us before, so we dont have much Scotch left, but we could get more. We plan to be around all weekend and hope to do a bit of flying also.

Not sure what you are looking to do but if you've never been Williamsburg is a must see IMHO. Short taxi from the KJGG which has a fabulous sandwich shop right on the field. Good enroute stop either to or from First Flight at Kill Devil Hills.

If headed to N VA Stafford has an enlarged Wings and Wheels affair this Saturday at KRMN. Let me know and EAA Chapter 1099 would love to feature your plane as an example of fine homebuilding to the assembled masses. Check NOTAMS for field closures mid-day for short airshow, etc.

Those are just a couple of ideas....

Fall Foliage will be getting there as well but not peak just yet. Still the colors on the mountains should make for some nice viewing.

Southport

I take every opportunity I can to visit Southport, N.C. Love that town. Second Home of Robert Ruark.

So you might consider landing at KSUT, and getting yourself to Southport. If you do, be sure to have dinner at the Live Oak Cafe on Nouth Howe st.. GREAT place.

Then walk a very few blocks to the Oak Grove and sip from the pump well there - anyone who takes a sip of water from there is destined to return to Southport. Then cross N. Howe and go a block or two to the Adkins House - it's a B&B now. Was Ruark's grandfather's place, and the home mentioned so often in "The Old Man and the Boy". you can go inside.

Then one more block to the water, get an ice cream and gaze over the water.

Last edited:
Not sure of your route but if you come through the NE corner of TN (0A4) I'll pick you up for lunch or whatever you might need!! Your Rocket lives close by... could show you my unpainted one!! And ??? we have fuel at 4.99!!

runway has been sealed and striped, not perfect but plenty nice!

Greg

Hi Greg,

I already visited the boys in Chuckey earlier this Summer and got a picture of my -12 nose-to-nose with my Rocket. Nice guys there, I really enjoyed the trip and lunch with them.

I am planning a fuel stop at Wytheville (KMKJ) because they have auto fuel. Not sure where that is in relationship to you.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and the wonderful offers to stay. I may take one of you up on that. I was hoping to get a little north in Virginia on Saturday, but the outlook (at least for now) didn't look that promising. I suppose that will change by the time Friday rolls around. I would love to see Williamsburg. If the weather improves I may head up that way.

If not, I may head more into North Carolina and take in one of the other offers. I will know more as the time draws closer and I know what the weather is going to be.

Dare County airport, just a few miles from from Kitty Hawk, has good fuel prices but also is neat if you are a history buff. The terminal building has a couple of rooms with artifacts and information about VF-17, "The Jolly Rogers", and their time at the field there after being banished from NAS Norfolk for various flying antics. I enjoyed it almost as much as time at Kitty Hawk.

Trip is in the Books

Thanks to the suggestions from this thread, I went ahead and made the trip to North Carolina and Virginia this past weekend. I had a blast.....and also learned a valuable lesson too.

virginia01.jpg

The weather was pretty clear all the way from Indiana to North Carolina except for some usual clouds over the Appalachian mountains. The colors were very vivid in these parts as the evening temps are in the 30's and 40's.

virginia02.jpg

I was making great time going out with a strong tailwind. I wish I could get 141 KTS every time I fly.

virginia03.jpg

After a quick fuel stop in Western Virginia, I made my way to the coast and the Outer Banks began to appear. Off the nose is my destination. As you can see, the weather was just fabulous.

virginia04.jpg

I arrived high so I could get a couple of pictures of the area while descending. This is First Flight airport (KFFA) and the Wright Brothers memorial. As I would later discover, the normal for this trip would be many cross wind landings. My landing here was terrible as I arrived over the numbers high and fast. That darn -12 just doesn't want to slow down. It turns out this would be my second worst landing of the weekend. Fortunately the airport was deserted and the view of the people from the memorial is blocked by trees so no one witnessed my poor airmanship.

virginia05.jpg

Here's the obligatory photo op. I visited for a couple of hours and toured the grounds and the museum. From here, I decided to do some touristy stuff so I proceeded to fly up the coast to Williamsburg to spend a day visiting some of the historic sights. If you decide to come here, I highly recommend the Williamsburg Jamestown airport. It is privately owned and the two guys who run the place are wonderful. They took great care of me and my airplane while I was there.

virginia06.jpg

I won't bore you with all the details of my tourist activities. I visited old town Williamsburg, the Jamestown settlement, and Yorktown. I learned a lot about our early history and I particularly enjoyed the driving tour of the battlefield at Yorktown.

On Sunday, it was time to head home and for me to earn my lesson in mountain flying. Typically in the -12, I plan my fuel stops in the air because the amount of ground I can cover is greatly influenced by the winds aloft. On my trip out west, I rarely landed at the airport I originally thought I would because I either had a higher or lower ground speed than anticipated. The weather was clear all the way to the mountains but beyond was mostly overcast with some broken and a few scattered ceilings. Forecast was for it to go scattered by late morning. I headed out and began to monitor my fuel so I could plan a stop. I was making about 85 KTS groundspeed so a stop on the Virginia side of the mountains for fuel seemed prudent. Do I dialed up an airport on my flight path and trundled off oblivious to what was ahead. Turns out the airport I selected was KHSP, Bath County Ingalls Field. It just so happens that it is the highest airport east of the Mississippi. Did I mention that I was only making 85 KTS ground speed (wind blowing)?

00393.jpg

Here's a link to a picture of the airport from Airnav. This place sits on top of a mountain. I didn't know that until I was a lot closer to the airport. Now in this part of Virginia, there are not a lot of airports. Closest one was another 30 miles away, so I decided to give it a shot. The updrafts, rotors, and cross winds were really something. Strongest I have ever landed in in over 30 years of aviation. Winds were blowing 20 KTS gusting to 30 KTS and were mostly, but not entirely, cross wind. Maximum crosswind component in the -12 is only 12 KTS. This was most definitely above that.

virginia07.jpg

Here's a shot off the end that I approached from. I shot this as I was departing but it gives you an idea of what I am talking about. I did manage to carry about 20 KTS extra on my approach and I needed it. A strong rotor off the approach end tried to push me into the mountain, and once I got above that the winds tried to blow me off the side. There were a couple of moments when I was banked at least 45 degrees as the gusts caught me. I did eventually manage to get down on the runway without crinkling any sheet metal or leaving parts on the runway but it was interesting.

As I taxied up to the FBO there was a big Marine helicopter on the ramp and one of the guys came over to me and asked "Did you just land in that?" "Yes" was my answer, "but I shouldn't have".

The rest of the trip was uneventful and I made it home safe and sound. I learned a valuable lesson about planning my flights better and paying attention to details regarding airport elevation, wind direction, runway direction, and using your outs when you need to. I feel like I got away with one. I plan to be more careful in the future.

Nice one Randy.
Looks like a great time and I am envious of the tailwind.
When I went out west, I had headwind on all but the last 1.5 hr leg and that was just a meager breath.

Comment on the highest airport. KHSP must be highest public airport east of Miss or something like that. 2NC0 is highest one east of the Miss, although there was supposedly another private one higher that I think is no longer in operation.

To your point, the winds are just as tricky here as they are elsewhere. Glad you handled them OK!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder that potential fuel stops should be researched before flight.

When I head off on a cross country, I like to have a shopping list of airports that I have researched as possible stops. The research includes weather, NOTAMs, fuel availability, fuel price, local terrain, etc. The NOTAM check has forced me to cross airports off the list more than once, with runway closures for maintenance, or no fuel available due to fuel pump inop, etc.

I need to be more diligent about local NOTAM checks before I head to the airport. I got surprised a few weeks ago when I took some time off work to go flying, only to discover after arriving at the airport that the runway was closed for crack filling. A quick NOTAM check showed that the airport had issued one the evening before, but I had failed to check for it. Blast!

and five miles away was 12VA

where you could have had a much nicer time landing than at HSP (the carrier deck). My bad for not responding to your travel inquiries sooner, Randy. I've fed and gassed the Vladster before, and would have been happy to do the same for you.

Bill

where you could have had a much nicer time landing than at HSP (the carrier deck). My bad for not responding to your travel inquiries sooner, Randy. I've fed and gassed the Vladster before, and would have been happy to do the same for you.

Bill

And I'm sure I would have enjoyed the visit. Sorry we missed one another.