blandess

Good Evening Everyone,
Let me begin by saying while this has everything to do with flight and nothing to do with RV's, it is all about safety. I was just having dinner at a friends house and he mentioned his grandpa owned a resort in Creede, CO. This was followed by him asking me if I would be willing to take a trip up there for a weekend for some 4 wheeling and general leisure. I said it should not be a problem given the runway is long enough to make it to takeoff speed. I am planning on getting checked out in a C182 for the trip and doing some practice at Flagstaff, AZ airport. The trip will probably take place in the beginning of May. I know I have to account for density altitude, any clouds that may creep in, wind coming through the valley that the airport is in (C24), and the rest of the things that go with high altitude ground ops. I have flown to Sedona, AZ tons of times in the summer when densities can reach 7000+ feet. C24 is 8000 or so field elevation. I plan on getting the above checkout geared specifically toward high altitude ops. I would like everyone's harsh, honest input because I have nothing to lose by telling you guys and you're not making any money off of me which means you are more inclined to tell me the truth. If there is anything I may be missing, any advice you have, or anything in general please speak up and keep this thread up as long as possible so I get a good sample of opinions. Thanks as always.

A 182 with around half fuel and loaded up with gear and two people will have no problem. I regularly operate a 182 at 8-10,000 ft density altitude. Smiley Creek is 7200' msl and gets up in the 80s in the summer. Keep it a couple hundred pounds under gross and a 2500' runway should be more than adequate with a little practice. Don

Enjoy!

Getting the training and practice, combined with doing the math carefully is the answer. Have a great trip!

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

DSC_0071.jpg

Other considerations

Add winds aloft to you list of things to pay attention to. The 12,000 foot and 15,000 graphic slices on ADDS, and the trends thereto, are really useful.

Nice place to visit

Getting close:

DubMtnSmall.jpg

Going up the valley from Del Norte/South Fork (a bit north of Wolf Creek Pass)

CreedeValleyApproach1Small.jpg

Another view. Have to go over that little mound ahead then left soon thereafter. See the hill that slopes down to the right. I believe you hang a left right after it.

CreedeValleyApproach2Small.jpg

Final Approach

CreedeFinalApproachSmall.jpg

On the ground:

54RL-Creede.jpg

Overlooking the town

Creede.jpg

Morning departures/flying help with density altitude and lower chance of thunderstorms. Take the AOPA online Mountain Flying course then determine if you need to take a mountain flight with an instructor.

Also while here take an early morning flight up to Leadville

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLXV

Last edited:
May has some dynamic weather!

April and May in the Southern CO Rockies can be VERY dynamic. Temp swings can be significant overnight with lots of opportuity for mountain obscuration (especially in the morning). Temps in general shouldn't be too high so density altitude is less of an issue than late June or July, but definitely keep an eye on winds aloft. More than 20kts or so at 12k' and you're going to find some nice ups and downs and sky potholes!
A 182 with moderate load will be probably be fine. Just remember the 75/50 rule...if you're not at 75% of your takeoff speed by 50% down the runway, consider aborting. Lots of guys roll on 10' of flaps right around rotation speed just to help the plane hop off the runway. (mind your trim!) Waiting to roll on the flaps will reduce your initial roll drag and help you get up to speed faster than setting 10' from a stop....FWIW.
Great area....have fun!

I finally looked up Creede on Airnav. You have a 6800' runway, I don't see any problem here. Just watch the weather and winds aloft and go have fun. When you are climbing out look for some lift where the wind is blowing up the ridges. Surprising how much lift you can get. Also 20 degrees flaps for short field T/O according to the book. Don

Winds aloft...

I want to thank everyone for their input, it makes me feel better to know that people have experience at this airport and in the same airframe I will be flying.

On a more inquisitive note, I have read a couple of you say to mind the winds aloft at 12k and 15k. What is the reason for this? I understand that things may get bumpy flying over the mountains in the late morning and afternoon due to temp spreads but what significance does it have to the airport itself? Would the winds aloft be some kind of indicator of the surface wind on the field? How about the mountains acting as a venturi and accelerating the velocity?

I have no problems calling off the flight if every single thing is not EXACTLY right.

How about the mountains acting as a venturi and accelerating the velocity?

bingo...if your winds aloft are 25 kts or more, I personally wouldnt go. 25 kts at altitude is not a big deal, if you have an engine problem and have to descend unexpectedly those 25 kt winds can be accellerated greatly and usually are coming over the ridges. I'm no expert by any means, but I have recieved flight instruction on this. A mt flying checkout is prudent if you arent familiar with high altitude operations.

Winds aloft are the primary indicator of non-convective turbulence. The rates of lift and sink can be dramatic. They are also dependent upon the geography.

A couple preliminary practice flights in mountainous terrain can't hurt.

David Paule