Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
It seems that activity picks up in New Mexico when the weather cools. I am not going to be able to fly to LOE this year because of other travel commitments but it is a great event for RV owners. On the 7th of October (always on the first Saturday of April and October) is the second single day opening for public access to Trinity Site NNW of Alamogordo. Jeanine and I flew our RV-6A there on the earlier date. If you go there there is a book (one of several) that they sell at the tables just outside the walking path up to the actual site of the detination of the first atomic bomb. It is called "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes and it is the winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award and the National Book Critics Circle Award. One of the guys going in there on the bus recommended it with feeling. I have "Enola Gay" by Gordon Thomas and Morgan Witts and Flight of the Enola Gay (bought at Los Alamos) by Paul Tibbets and they are outstanding in their coverage of the operational aspects of the project but this one is focused on the science as early as 1903 - the year of the Wright's. The book is 866 pages long (790 in the main text) and the coverage is amazing. They have rubber post mark stamps there that they allow you to use to stamp your copy. Mine says "Trinity Site, New Mexico ARR 01 '06 GROUND ZERO 1945" in standard circular post mark format. I tried to get some others to go in April with no success but some said they were considering the October time. Well don't forget the book.

(http://www.atomictourist.com/trinity.htm - thanks to Mark Andrews)

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Flying into Alamogordo

Flying into Alamogordo is an experience that is almost worth the trip. A piece of cake in your RV-7A but a thrill coming over those mountains to the east and rapidly descending to the civilian airport while avoiding all of the restricted areas. It (I'm not just talking about Trinity Site) is a slice of Americana that can't be sampled anywhere else.

Bob Axsom

Last edited: