iwannarv

Well Known Member
Dad decided to buy a flying RV8 :D, and the wheelpants are set really low. This airplane will now be operating off a rough grass strip with lots of dips/bumps/gopher holes/etc. I think the plan for now to get it ready for a bumpy/rough strip is add a Vince Frazier/Bell tailwheel, and do something with the wheelpants. Would it be easier to raise/trim the current wheelpants (in primer) , or start out with a new set? I had also looked at Smokyray's "bushwheels" as a future option. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Dad decided to buy a flying RV8 :D, and the wheelpants are set really low. This airplane will now be operating off a rough grass strip with lots of dips/bumps/gopher holes/etc. I think the plan for now to get it ready for a bumpy/rough strip is add a Vince Frazier tailwheel, and do something with the wheelpants. Would it be easier to raise/trim the current wheelpants (in primer) , or start out with a new set? I had also looked at Smokyray's "bushwheels" as a future option. Suggestions?

It should be relatively easy to adjust the existing wheel pants. Just redrill the mounting holes on the wheel pants(redrill all of 'em 1/2", an inch, whatever... lower on the pants), enlarge the wheel opening, and <probably> remake the lower fairings. The only real time consuming part will be reworking the lower fairings.

You'll have to fill the old holes, but that isn't a big deal.

Go for Smokey's

I vote for Smokey's. If the speed doesn't change, I would think his setup would be an improvement.

If you are going to the trouble to raise the pants, go the extra step, increase the tire size and refit the pants.

Heck, It's only money and time. I also think it looks good.

Gophers

500x5 wheels are not recommended for fields as you describe. I vote for the wheels/tires recommended by Smoky as a minimum for the field that you are talking about.

As far as tailwheels go, what would be the best option? Vince Frazier's tailwheels looks like similar construction to Vans, but a little difference, but the Bell or API looks like they would advantage a bit over Vince's for total clearence. I have looked at the other tailwheel upgrade thread, but they didn't mention much about Frazier's tw.