aarvig

Well Known Member
How accurately to the plans do these have to be trimmed? I trimmed (with a band saw and vixen file) to the plans specs but the weight would not fit because of the shop head on the rivets. I had to shave off another 1-2/32 of an inch on each side to get them to fit. Is this going to cause balance issues?

I did not remove any lead when I built my elevators, installed electirc trim motor and paint, after it was all together I only had to drill a couple shallow holes into the lead to balance the elevators. (drilled from the inside tward the outside)

I was just wondering about that.
I was thinking the elevators should be ballanced individually, but began to wonder if the left elevator (with the trim tab) should be over ballanced on account of it being the surface most likely to flutter???
Any aerodynamic engineers care to comment on this one??:confused:

Yes....

The elevators are balanced independently as in there are counterbalance weights in each elevator. The RV-9/A require trimming the lead to fit the counterbalance arms.

Don't trim the left side until you balance as more weight is needed to offset the trim tab.

Roberta