Mark Jackson

Patron
I have attached the elevators to the HS and tested the range of motion. I trimmed the skins as called for to provide the required clearance around the counterweights. My question is should I be concerned with the very small clearance between the counterbalance arm and the skin.

I can trim if needed but would prefer not to obviously. REALLY don't want the elevators sticking if they shift a little under load in the air.

Thanks,

Mark Jackson

1z1wdc1.jpg

trimming

They should be trimmed if necessary to achieve at least the minimum distance of 1/8" as indicated on dwg. #3. happy building

bird

It looks like your counterbalance arm is not parallel to the HS and square to the rest of the elevator. It should be. You can either change the rod-end bearing distances to make the counterblance arm parallel or, if the rod end bearings are all equal and you want to keep them that way, you'll need to fix the unsquare elevator by taking out four or five skin rivets right where the counterbalance skin meets the elevator skin. Where those two skins come together acts as sort of a pivet point. If you remove a few rivets right there you'll be able to pull the fwd part of the counterbalance arm out more so that it is square to the rest of the elevator. Then drill the holes up to #30, if possible, and re-rivet. I did this after consulting Vans and it was no big deal. Now I have a square elevator, the counterbalance arm of which is parallel to the HS. Hope this helps.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? I will adjust the rod-ends this evening to resolve the issue. Thanks for the advice.

Mark Jackson