UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I'm working on the gear leg fairings and want to check with the VAF experts before I make a $80 mistake.

1) For my RV-7A, the instructions say to position the cut line 2-5/8" from a scribe line.... I've looked and looked and I don't see any scribe line.

I am assuming that I'm supposed to make a like 2-5/8" from the end of the fairing and line up the paper template with that.

k4d0js.jpg

If this is not correct, please let me know.

2) I've looked and I can seem to find the spacing for the rivets that attach the hinges to the fairings... anyone know what is recommended?

Thanks,
Jason

I also could not locate the scribe line...

...so, here is what I did.
1. trace all the drawing shape info on another piece of paper. This includes the gear leg center lines, cutout areas, etc.

2. Cut out the new tracing for your aircraft.

3. Place this tracing over your fiberglass gear leg fairing and align to the fairing leading edge center line. Now, slide the paper up/down the fairing until the trailing edge of the paper template meets the trailing edge of the fiberglass template.

4. Now, transfer all of your marks to the fiberglass fairing.

When you cut /trim the fiberglass, it will still be an inch or so too long. The final trimming will be to clear the outward bend at the wheel axle.

Once all trimming is finished, drill a very small hole on each end of the fairing center lines, at all ends (4 holes). This will always allow you to relocate the center line positions of the fairings onto the gear legs as you work on the upper and lower intersection fairings.

my drawing shows a scribe line

at the top of the fairing on Drawing C3, Position D10.

I called and spoke with Gus at Vans, and the "scribe" line is ~1/4" from the end... don't know why the plans don't just tell you to put the template at the end and adjust the distance.....