dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Maybe someone already ran into this, but thought I'd share a mistake. When trimming one E909 stiffener I got a bit carried away snipping the unusable portion from the left side. It was too much and would not allow enough edge distance on the first hole. So without thinking too much (after all these things are less than 8 inches long) I moved down another hole and cut the required length. Thought I was all good but you know the holes on my Charlie Brown stiffener do not line up with the holes on all the other E909 stiffeners. :( Now I got to order some parts for one stiffener. It is only the last hole on the stiffener that does not line up.

Sg7cYaH2tqGOOLdCKC17m0iEc-2RBq7mfPhANd1AAHA

Turn the stiffener 90 degrees and use the unpunched side, backdrill through the skins to make new holes. It will still serve perfectly well as a stiffener.

The unpunched side angles back some as per the notches on the uncut stock. However it looks like I could maintain 1/4 inch edge distance from hole center to the edge. It appears a 3/32 rivet should have minimum edge distance of 6/32 (2 x diameter). Does dimpling the part have any impact on edge distance requirements?

I remember that part taking some time to figure out what went where and make sure to mark all of them well.