stevemottin

I'm New Here
33cynar.jpg

The picture is of the trim wire bundle exiting the aft bulkhead. It leaves the J-stringer and exits via a bushing in the bulkhead. The tie-wrap point is nearly 4 inches from the bushing. I'm concerned about the wire rubbing on the end of the J-stringer and possibly shorting out or cutting a conductor.

Has anyone seen this issue and how did you adress it?

I'm considering placing a piece of slit tubing around the wire where it exits the stringer.

Thanks,

Steve Mottin
RV-12 N255SM (reserved)
Lake Saint Louis, MO.

If it bothers you take a piece of clear tubing with an ID the same or lager as the OD of the wire. Cut a 3-4" piece off and slice it down the side with a razor. Slip it over the wire and you have a nice neat anti chaffing shield that you can see through.

Last edited:
Trim Wire Chafe fix

It bothered me, too. I cut a slot in a snap bushing so I could slide it onto the end of the J-stiffener, then put a piece of plastic tubing over the wire and held the whole thing in place with dome aluminum-safe silicon. If I knew how to add a picture to this, I would.

Wayne 120241

Trim Wire Chafing - Simplicity

I just finished up the fuselage cone last weekend and ran into the same concern. Rather than abruptly bend the trim wire up from the snap bushing to enter the end of the j-stringer, I just laid the wire over the top edge of j-stringer closer to the first tie wrap. To do this, I first applied two layers of good quality duct tape to the top edge of the j-stringer to prevent chafing. This approach provides a less severe bend in the wire bundle, thereby reducing the point load at the edge of the j-stringer. You could also fit a short section of plactic tubing over the wire in this area for addition protection.

Incidentally, I had to drill out the hole in the read bulkhead assembly to install the snap bushing. Googled the part number and found the correct hole size. The factory drilled hole was considerably undersized. Maybe I just missed that step in the plans somewhere.