GuppyBob

Hello all...trying to find the best way to rivet the bottom flange of the elevator trim tab spar to the trim tab skin...I see it calls for 426 rivets...has anyone seen provision for blind rivets?? I'm probably missing it on the plans if so...If you did use the 426 rivets...how did you buck them? Longeron yoke? back rivet maybe before bending the trailing edge? (too late in my case!) Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

GuppyBob said:
Hello all...trying to find the best way to rivet the bottom flange of the elevator trim tab spar to the trim tab skin...I see it calls for 426 rivets...has anyone seen provision for blind rivets?? I'm probably missing it on the plans if so...If you did use the 426 rivets...how did you buck them? Longeron yoke? back rivet maybe before bending the trailing edge? (too late in my case!) Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

I used mk-319-bs blind rivets...lots of them. I've heard you can back rivet it but I wasn't able to figure it out.

I used the longeron yoke. Couple words of advice

1) Start on the skinny/tip end of the spar.
2) Put some duct tape on the yoke so you don't scratch the skin.
3) When you get to the root end of the spar, I needed to add some 2-3 washers under my squeezer die so the yoke had enough clearance for the spar.

I don't understand why Van's doesn't fix their processing to let us know about backriveting that Damn thing before we bend it! The first thing the instructions say is to stick the thing in your bending brake and have at it.

I'm literally building a new trim tab for my RV-7 as we speak. It's one of many pre-paint items I'm taking care of. There's a tiny "crimp" in my original trim tab's trailing edge that I've never been happy with (that, and I can't keep away from making aluminum shavings on something).

I know some builders back rivet their trim tab spars. While I guess that's possible, I personally wouldn't want to do it that way. There's enough springback in the skin that you need to (at least I need to) over-bend the trailing edge to get the right bend/shape. With the spar in place while bending, I honestly don't think you could get a proper bend.

The pop rivets really aren't that big of a deal, but my new trim tab has all solid rivets. On the horns I used a 4" thin-nose no-hole yoke, and on the bottom spar rivets I used a longeron yoke with a relatively "tall" flush rivet set (somebody else mentioned using shims/washers -- works equally well).

You will probably want a longeron yoke eventually. My 2 cents is -- just spring for the stupid thing. You'll use it more than you think!

Oh...and BTW...I chopped the ends off. My end flap bends came out just about perfect on the first trim tab, but I no longer have the male/female wood V blocks around. So I chopped 'em off and I'm going with foam/glass to fill the ends perfectly flush. I had no idea how to deal with composites when I started my RV-7, and now I do.

What Dan said. I used the longeron yoke and didn't have any problems. You do have to use a tall set so you clear the spar okay. The longeron yoke is probably my most used yoke, then the 4 inch no hole.

Riveting the Trim Spar

I also had problems with this. I ended up making a 1/4" by 2" piece of steel with a little handle on it to put over the shop end, then put the squeezer on that. Worked fine. Didn't think about the idea of back riveting first. Wish I had. Would have been a lot less work. I have a longeron yoke and couldn't get it to fit. Good luck.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Tanks

So a longeron yoke is pretty much mandatory? I have my wings and fuse on order and if I must have a LY I guess I'd better add that to my next tool order. Are there any particular LY's that are better than some others?

briand said:
So a longeron yoke is pretty much mandatory? I have my wings and fuse on order and if I must have a LY I guess I'd better add that to my next tool order. Are there any particular LY's that are better than some others?

I haven't used anyone elses yokes, but yokes I got from Clear Air Tools (http://www.clearairtools.com/) are very nice.

pre-paint?

dan said:
I'm literally building a new trim tab for my RV-7 as we speak. It's one of many pre-paint items I'm taking care of. ...
Pre-paint? Say it isn't so, Joe! :)