atalla

Well Known Member
Hello all

I just want to confirm that I'm dimpling for the screw but machine countersinking for the nut plate 426 rivets? the material thickness is .030

do i dimple everything and and install the nut plates on the dimple? seams weirds...

2ja61k.jpg

zxvhtx.jpg

Any thoughts or help would be great
Thanks
Andrew

You can dimple for the rivet and dimple the nutplate which is the way I think most have done it, including myself. When dimpling for nutplates and the nutplate themselves you'll need to grind a small taper on one side of a 3/32 female dimple die.

Dimple the screw hole first otherwise you'll end up smashing the outside dimples when the center hole is dimpled.

Since the nutplate rivets are only there to prevent rotation of the nutplate...

You could simply countersink for the rivets, but use the small head NAS1097 rivets.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/solid-rivets/nas1097-100-solid-rivet

I find them much easier to use and set with a hand squeezer than the full size head rivets for nutplates.

I was thinking this but the rivets called for are #40 3/32 can I oversize the holes to a #30 for the Nas1097 in the nut plate and panel?

Last edited:
I did this by dimpling nutplates and the plate and if I could do it again I would just use the NAS rivets and countersink method. So many dimples on this plate caused it warp a little bit. No big deal as it gets screwed straight anyways but I would go the NAS way. Also, when you get to the point of working on the Z brackets countersink the aft most two rivets instead of dimpling as most people have clearance issues here with the motor.