flyboykelly

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I'm building an 8 and am looking for ideas for riveting the trim tab spar to the skin. Perticularly the lower part of the spar. My squeezer won't fit and I can't get any of my bucking bars in there. I was told that a squeezer head made for longerons would work but I can't find one for the Tacto squeezer. Any ideas, Flyboy

Don't know about the Tatco squeezer, but I was able to squeeze these on my -7 using the Chicago Pneumatic clone that Avery sells. I used a 3" yoke (thinner at the top) with a thin flush set inside the flange. I had to wiggle it around to get it in there. IIRC, I had to remove the pins and the actuating flush set to get the yoke inserted. Once the yoke was in the slot I put it all back together and squeezed away. It was a bit tedious, but I have solid shank rivets top and bottom, so I'm happy.

I know some guys have punted and just used pop rivets with no ill effects.

-Rick

Riveting the trim tab

I ran into this same problem. My solution was to fashion a flat steel plate, about 1/2 in wide and about two inches long and about 1/8 thick, with a little handle on it. I then put that over the shop end of the rivet and squeezed it with my pneumatic. Worked great.

Michael Wynn
RV 8
Wings (ailerons)

I just this this a few days ago. I used a 2 inch longeron yoke on my pneumatic squeezer. I came out very well however it was not easy!!