attackpilot

Hello Everyone:

Yesterday I glued in the foam ribs into the trim tabs. After that, according to the plans, I am supposed to blind rivet the end tabs together. I generally read ahead to make sure that I am all set up for a follow-on step, but I was suprised that I was to us a CS4-4 and no where before that did it say to dimple the end tabs. One sentence mentioned dimpling all the holes in the skin including the ones for the horn. It did not specifically mention the #30 holes in the end tabs, so I hadn't

I thought that maybe setting the blind rivet might dimple the skin enough for it to set all the way in. It didn't of course. I called Van's and Scott said that it was just cosmetic and that I would have enough clearance. He also suggested I could use a LP4-4. So on the inboard where I know there is more clearance, that is what I did, on the outboard end, I went ahead and used the CS4-4 and they stick out about 1/64 to 1/32". I figure after I paint, that it will be less noticeable.

I think that Van's should ammend the plans to specifically mention the #30 holes. Any thoughts? Anybody else have the same problem, or am I the only dumb one.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailkit
QB Wings and Fuse Here and Waiting.

I'm only on the empannage and I've already run into several situations where, if they would have included just 6 or 7 more words in the manual it would have saved us builders lots of time and headache.

Lance

Joe,
If it's any consolation, I'm exactly where you are and did the same thing this evening. I just put the slightest amount of countersink into the end tabs and used the blind rivets.
I agree, lots of places where the directions could be clearer but this was truly poorly worded. Based on comments of others, I suspect we'll have to rely more and more on our own senses as we move through the project and the instructions get less lucid.
I just made sure that I'd have the clearance with the tab set in 1/32" and moved on.
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL

Thanks, Joe.

Just started my empennage kit three days ago. Made a note in my plans, thanks to you!

Unfortunately, you do have quite a bit of this to look forward to. This may be a not-so-subtle nudge to look ahead, and think ahead - and it worked on me! On the empenage you get more "hand holding" than you will anywhere else in the kit. These "omissions" that Vans doesn't seemed concerned about are more of a poke (cheap) than a slap upside your head (expensive!) way to "suggest" you pay attention, think ahead and for yourself, and not just blindly follow the manual.
After all, this is a recreational and educational experience. So far I'm enjoying the limbering up of the ol' synapses!

Dancer said:
I'm only on the empannage and I've already run into several situations where, if they would have included just 6 or 7 more words in the manual it would have saved us builders lots of time and headache.

Lance
As you get to the wings and the fuselage, you'll need to pay even more attention, read ahead farther, and really think things through, or you'll find yourself re-doing a lot of work. They really hold your hand on the empannage...by the time you get to the wing and fuselage they figure you know what you're doing and start leaving things out.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Just finished emp kit - and here's what I found

I found at that the further you get into the kit the LESS instruction there are. They no longer are specific about every single step - such as "dimple this" and "countersink that." I guess they assume you know enough now to go it right. Sometimes I even remember to do it!

Research each step

As indicated in previous posts, the plans become much more vague as you progress. Section 29 is where many people come undone. Launching into a kit is exhilarating and it does not take long for the 'addiction' to set in. Building becomes great fun very quickly, until you realise that you have cocked something up that was pretty obvious if you had read the plans properly. The internet is an awesome resource - check out Tim O's or Mike Howe's inspirational sites to see how they have tackled a particular step.

Be warned tho', no-one is perfect and most sites contain their share of errors. Reading and understanding the plans is the ONLY way minimise those '. . . oh ****, where were these left over parts supposed to go' moments.

happy building

Ron
-10 finishing

Mine too. No clearance issues, just cosmetic. You can't see the trim tabs while flying inside the plane, and you'll have other things like smiley's, so don't worry about it. I found it helps to study the plans and parts before you drill, bend, cut, etc anything. Understand the fastener that goes through every hole, dimple, countersink, which side to place the shop head, squeezer access. Think about it before you do it.