chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm now staring at the trim tab and its hinge. So far as I can see, once the hinge is trimmed to the correct length for the tab and and V/S (maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 at the most off the length supplied) there isn't enough of the hinge wire to make the two bends in the end shown on the plans to lock it in position. Am I missing something? :confused: Probably doing something dumb but I thought I'd check.

Thanks

Chris

chris mitchell said:
I'm now staring at the trim tab and its hinge.
As you said, if you cut highe wire to same length as tab, it obviously won't go futher than that. So don't... you have plenty of time to cut it whatever lenght you wish. If you don't wish to make it removable I would make it a couple of millimeters shorter than tab and flatten the tab (propably do a small salient (?)) so that it wouldn't come out. There are multiple ways to secure it.

Here is one method if you wish to make it removable:

http://www.rvproject.com/tips.html

I called Vans about this same problem. The hinge pin you get with the emp kit is a temp pin. The real pin (long enough) comes in the Fuse or finish kit.

I remember thinking this was rather silly.

Yeah, with the finish kit you get tons of extra hinge pin. There's plenty there for the trim tab pin.

heads up

chris mitchell said:
Thanks - useful to know. Pity they don't tell you that a bit earlier!!

Chris :)
At the end of the section for the trim tab hinge install instructions it states that the hinge pin is a temp and that the full length h/pins is shipped with the fuse kit.
7A emp anyway :D

reading ahead

Chris, a local builder gave me some sage advice, and that is to try to read ahead (a few paragraghs at least) of the task at hand. This has saved me a few miss drilled holes etc. Build on !! :)