dirtybirdy80

I'm New Here
I'm finishing up on the empennage kit for my RV-8 and I have saved the trim tab for last, as I have heard that I can be pretty challenging to get all the tabs evenly folded over, bent, etc.

Has anyone cut off the tabs that get folded over on the trim tab ends, and instead, close off the ends with fiberglass, similar to the inside of the fiberglass tips on the horizontal and vertical stabilizer?

Also, can this be done on the left elevator skin, instead of folding the two tabs over that run parallel to the trim tab?

I followed the plans and did not have any issues making the trim tab. Go slowand you should be fine.

Either

I followed the plans and had to order a second set of trim tab parts. I would be tempted to form ribs instead.

I've never seen fiberglass but I have seen where people cut off the tabs and fashion a rib to install. Similar to the aft few inches of the outboard elevator rib. If I were to do it again that is what I would do. Took me 4 tries on my first build, one try on my -8 build, but it's not as perfect as my -9 was. It's all about the clamping blocks.

It took me two tries to get something I was happy with. Make sure you have the blocks in the correct position and they are clamped securely. If they move then reposition and reclamp then continue. Take your time and life is good.

I'm finishing up on the empennage kit for my RV-8 and I have saved the trim tab for last, as I have heard that I can be pretty challenging to get all the tabs evenly folded over, bent, etc.

Has anyone cut off the tabs that get folded over on the trim tab ends, and instead, close off the ends with fiberglass, similar to the inside of the fiberglass tips on the horizontal and vertical stabilizer?

Also, can this be done on the left elevator skin, instead of folding the two tabs over that run parallel to the trim tab?

The end closeouts of the trim tab are a structural member of the trim tab.
Do you have the skills and knowledge of working with composites to know that what you install in place of the bent tabs will provide the same strength and stiffness in the tab that the bent tabs would have? If not, then you would be raising the "experimental" rating of your airplane a notch.