skidmk

Well Known Member
just finishing up my elevator and had a question about the tab deflection. I have 30+ degrees up and about 20-23 down. Is this okay? (couldn't find where this info would be)

thanks

MIke

Does up mean tab up from elevator or up for nose up (which would have the tab pointing down)? I find I use more nose up to trim for landing than nose down for cruise speeds, so I would prefer more tab pointing down. I fly a 7A with 0-360 and Hartzell C/S prop. Other engine/prop configurations may be different.

Roberta

I've never measured actual trim tab travel on my -6, but I have the same engine/prop combo as Roberta, and I likewise find that I need lots more nose up trim for approach and landing than I need nose down for cruise. With the trim tab centered on the elevator, my MAC electric trim indicator is likewise centered; I find I need 1-2 bars of nose down for max cruise (maybe 20-30% of total travel), but almost 100% nose up travel for landing when solo with minimal baggage.

This is probably one of those "fly it and see how it works!" items, unless someone can provide actual travel limits from Van's, which I don't think I've ever seen.

23 Up might not do it

Trim tab angles aren't mentioned in the builders manual. They probably should be, as flight control surfaces are of great importance to the proper flying of any airplane.

Trim authority required is directly related to airspeed and CG. The lower the airspeed and/or the more forward your CG, the more authority you need. Authority can be had with either more trim tab area, more tab angle, or both. So, to trim at a normal approach speed requires lots more tab angle (authority) than it would to trim, say, for 100kt. And to trim all the way into the flare takes LOTS of tab angle.

Being a practicing aero engineer, I calculated the tab angles I'd need to trim my RV4 into the flare assuming fairly standard CG and GW values. I came up with the need for about 45 degrees of NOSE UP trim movement to do that. I settled with 35 on my RV4 which got me down to a minimum trimmed airspeed of about 60 mph at a forward CG (pilot and fuel only). Since I normally approached at 70, that was enough. Incidentally, I could actually trim right into the flare with only 35 degrees tab angle if I had a heavy weight passenger in the back (about 210 pounds in the back seat). This made my RV4 nearly neutral in terms of static stablility. So the lesson here is that your CG location will also affect how much trim authority you'll need. More tail heavy airplanes need less trim authority to fly at slower speeds. They also will feel less pitch stable, so there is a tradeoff for this.

IMO, I'd increase the tab angle on your project as 20-23 probably won't be enough to trim the airplane for a normal approach. I believe its important for a pilot to be able to trim an airplane at normal approach speeds, and 23 degrees probably won't cut it. Try to get it to 30 as a practical minimum.

Best Regards,

Bill Wightman
OKC, OK

It looks like with the aircraft kits currently supplied by Van's there is really only one adjustment possible. As long as the trim motor you are using is the correct one, it has a "fixed" travel and as long as the trim tab horn is used as supplied in the kit it has a "fixed" ratio... so the only possible adjustment is how much you want UP versus DOWN deflection at the travel limits of the motor. I think you should start with the motor at mid-travel and the tab in trail with the elevator. Then after flying it a while minor adjustment could be made if you insist that the lighted "indicator" center bar be on for takeoff. I think there is no way to "guess" at it.

I didn't see which model you are building, and that might make a differnce, but I was sure that I had gotten the desired trim raneg off of a drawing, or from the manual. Alas, I just went looking, and can't find it....I did find a yellow sticky in my own handwriting that says "Trim Tab Range - 35 degrees up, 25 degrees down", and I knwo that if that is what it says, then that is what the travel is on my -8. Have't had any problems. Of cours,e I can't tell you FOR SURE if that is "Tab up", or "Nose up"......

Ahhh, how quickly one forgets once flying...

Paul