pvalovich

Well Known Member
I'm building an-8A with electric trim. I'm interested in the group trim box deal, but question whether I really need such a device. I have never flown an RV - or ever been in one. I have both a roll trim and pitch trim power cut off switch wired in, so the main issue for me is pitch trim sensitivity. 4000+ hours in the A-4 Skyhawk which was pretty much impossible to trim for extended periods.

Any Skyhawk / RV drivers out there who can provide a comparison of trim sensitivity? Since I'm used to battling trim sensitivity as a normal part of flying, is RV trim so much more sensitive that I need the speed adjuster - or will it just seem like a normal flying task ?

My experience is that trimming the RV is a trial and error process. Need a little down trim? Bump the switch for the shortest possible time and it'll probably overshoot, so you bump it the other way, and overshoot in that direction.

The speed controller would be a good thing.

Trim in motion

Without some sort of regulation the trim change is just too fast. I installed speed controllers and after a little "tuning" it works well.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA