Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hello this fine sunny day!
I have managed to mess up what should have been an easy task.
I could use a suggestion before I add to my scrap pile.
I used Nas rivits (aka oops rivits) and Cs the reinforcement plate and squeezed those rivits on installing the CS style plate nuts. I was thinking I didn't need to Cs the screw hole since I'd be countersinking the access plate screw holes instead of dimpling. Well, those holes got way to big while countersinking so I decided to try the dimple. The #6 screw seats nicely but now I needed to dimple the reinforcement plate and I already have the K1100 plate nuts installed. So without thinking it throuh I tried to Counter sink anyway and as you can see from pic it was not good idea. The edge broke away and is basically a hole. The dimpled plate rests in the counter sink plate nut just fine though.
Question: can I do thAt to the other 6 screw holes?
Or can I remove plate nuts and try dimpling the others even though I started a counter sink already? Or
Flatten dimple in access cover and continue CS even though it gets wollard out.
Or just order new pArt and dimple it all this time?
379381bc.jpg

build another one

Hi there, hey look at the extra pieces of aluminun that vans sent you with your empannage kit, they sent me the extras left over from the sheets that they used to make the parts. If I remember there is a piece large enough for that. I can't remember for sure but i think its .032". remove that one off of you elevator carefully not to mess up the holes, and use it to build another one, then make sure and dimple the screw holes for a #6 screw. For the rivet that hold the nutplate on, If i remember correctly, i dimpled them too and dimpled the nutplates to. Now I had to slightly grind my #40 female dimple die to get that done. That should give you a real nice piece that you will not regret looking back on taking the time to do it good. Hope this helps.

good luck,
bird

Dimple

re-make the cover plate out of extra material and dimple the holes in the new cover plate. The rest will be fine.

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think to make my own from the scrap aluminum I have before just orderung the part from van's this morning. Oh well, if I mess up again I'll make the next one.
Thanks again!

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think to make my own from the scrap aluminum I have before just orderung the part from van's this morning. Oh well, if I mess up again I'll make the next one.
Thanks again!

One way to make sure that you aren't pressured to accept a poor part, rather than remake it, is to order some 2'x2' sheets of aluminum in various thicknesses from ACS the next time you make and order - it is really pretty cheap, and having it on hand is a real life saver when you mess up, or just need to make something custom.

Paul

Extra Metal

Next time you are in KC, stop by Air Parts (on Lamar Street). They sell scrap pieces.

One way to make sure that you aren't pressured to accept a poor part, rather than remake it, is to order some 2'x2' sheets of aluminum in various thicknesses from ACS the next time you make and order - it is really pretty cheap, and having it on hand is a real life saver when you mess up, or just need to make something custom.

Paul

What I need to do is keep a list of things I could use but realy don't need yet so that when I do order from ACS or Van's, I can get a bunch on 1 order. The sheet aluminum would't be such a bad idea. I just ordered a small 17 dollar tool from avery that I wanted now and the stinking delivery charge was an additional $9!! Now if I could wait and get my order to 95 dollars there is no delivery charge. What a pain for people like me who just can't wait. :)