cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Both the Dynon Skyview Autopilot module and the VP-X have the capabilities to govern both the pitch and roll trim switches and servos.

Can anyone tell me if one is recommended over the other, and if so, why?

Currently, I was planning on using the VP-X capability, but only because I didn't know the Dynon AP module would do it.

The difference is that if you use the trim in the Dynon AP module, we can auto trim the plane when the AP is on. If you use the VP-X, you'll need to manually trim the plane when using the autopilot.

Otherwise the features are very similar.

Dynnon Support,

Does the Dynon AP module have any capability for trim position feedback or indication? I don't see any pin-outs for trim positions as the VP-X has.

The module itself does not have that. It is handled by the engine monitor in our system.

No reason you can't use the VP-X for trim position and the AP control panel for trim control if you don't have our EMS. If you do have our EMS, we'd recommend the use of that as it's all battery backed up and more easily calibrated.

The module itself does not have that. It is handled by the engine monitor in our system.

No reason you can't use the VP-X for trim position and the AP control panel for trim control if you don't have our EMS. If you do have our EMS, we'd recommend the use of that as it's all battery backed up and more easily calibrated.

I don't think I can use the EMS, as the Ray Allen trim motors require a +2.5v reference voltage for the potentiometers to work.

I checked with Vertical Power, and I think I got possible incorrect information (in his defense, he just returned from vacation, and was catching up on a lot). I was told the position would not work if the motors were not connected to the VP-X. I tested that today, and it appears to not be the case. It works fine and was easy to calibrate and is backed up too, so I will be going that route. I think I will be using the spare EMS GPIO pins for other items.

Could you possibly answer one question I have: Will I be able to configure widgets that use the VP-X values, as I can for the EMS values? I have all the surround avionics, but not the Skyview yet, so I haven't had the chance to start in with the main config.

I don't think I can use the EMS, as the Ray Allen trim motors require a +2.5v reference voltage for the potentiometers to work.

Yes, you can feed the trim servos into the EMS and many do to monitor their position. Same for flaps but that requires a separate position sensor.

Last edited:
RAY ALLEN SERVO

I just read the above post and it got me thinking...

'' Ray Allen trim motors require a +2.5v reference voltage''

Exactly what do you mean by that??Do I have to install a resistance or something else in line when I install the servos??

I'm planning a standard Dynon AP module with a Ray Allen Servo with the applicable Relay Deck connected to an Infinity Stick Grip so that I can get the autotrim function with my Skyview...

Anything else I should know?? Electrical stuff is not my cup of tea...:eek:

Bruno

Exactly what do you mean by that??Do I have to install a resistance or something else in line when I install the servos??

I'm planning a standard Dynon AP module with a Ray Allen Servo with the applicable Relay Deck connected to an Infinity Stick Grip so that I can get the autotrim function with my Skyview...

Bruno

The SV installation manual has all of this info, section 7 (figure 79 of the latest revision).

I have RA trim servos for pitch and roll, as do most others I believe, connected per the install manual to get indications on the screen, and it's always worked flawlessly.

Bruno

You won't need the relays for trim; it is handled within the AP panel. Just a relay for flaps with that setup (which is what I have).

I did the full Dynon setup, there is a 5 V DC output for feeding these Ray Allen position sensors, I put one on the flaps and also fed the other two trim motors, works great.

Ray Allen Servo

Ok thanks guys, I'll have a look at the manual once I start the installation.

Nice to know I don't need the Relay Deck..

Bruno

In your situation, I would recommend you use the VP-X to operate the flaps and the Dynon AP Panel to operate the trims. I like to have positions for the Trims wired to the EMS. You can use any General Purpose Input for the position from the servo (white with green stripe wire from servo). The White/Orange gets the 5V excite circuit from the EMS, which is the White/Red wire, which also goes to the Manifold Pressure and the Kavlico pressure sensors. That wire can power all of the excite circuits. You can use a power distribution block, butt splices or solder splices to split the 1 wire into many. The White/Blue wire from the servos is ground, and can go to wherever you send your grounds, or can use an open ground output from the EMS.

For the flaps, you should be able to take the White/Green position wire to the VP-X and to the EMS, but only power the White/Orange excite circuit from one or the other.

Another option is to hook all positions to the VP-X, which it will send via RS-232 to the Dynon, which is what VP recommends.

Very curious

Ok, I mis-spoke. They don't require a +2.5v, they just require a "reference voltage". +5v works too. The write up is in the Dynon Installation guide on 7-57 (Rev W).

I like to have positions for the Trims wired to the EMS.

Jesse, what you wrote is what I am doing for everything but the trim positions. But I am curious why both you and Dynon prefer to run the potentiometers through the EMS rather than using the VP-X (assuming it is present).

Your opinion is very valuable to me (I am sure many here would agree). Could you say why that is your preferred choice?

The EMS provides the +5 VDC to the potentiometers, and then the signal from the potentiometers come back to the EMS and communicates with the Dynon display to display the position of those items on the screen, Flaps trim ect.

Jesse, what you wrote is what I am doing for everything but the trim positions. But I am curious why both you and Dynon prefer to run the potentiometers through the EMS rather than using the VP-X (assuming it is present).

Your opinion is very valuable to me (I am sure many here would agree). Could you say why that is your preferred choice?

If you got into a situation where you were running on the backup battery, you would still have that information. Since neither system does anything with the information besides reading it, it really doesn't make that much difference. Wiring it straight to the Dynon because it is displayed on the Dynon basically just cuts out the middle man. The VP-X uses the flap position to set flap "notches", so that should be run through the VP-X.