trib

Well Known Member
For those of you using the manual, vernier cable type elevator trim, do you have any indication of trim position? If not, is there a method you use to verify or keep track of position? I'm guessing this could be an index on the knob or something similar.

Getting ready for first flight!

On my 7 take off is the first knuckle of my fore finger. If I have a passenger and baggage it is just forward of that about 1/2 turn. It is really not a big deal and you will find the sweet spot after flying a bit. You will find that from take off, climb and cruise you won't use much more than 1/2-3/4 turn on the trim. Don

Trim position indicator

Of course, you only need a trim position indicator for the take off trim setting, as all other trim adjustments are done by feel.

I flew in an RV-6 once that had a take off trim indication marked by a painted ring on the shaft of the vernier trim control. The bulider had filed a shallow groove and painted it yellow so it was easy to see. The nominal take off position was with the groove centered at the point where the vernier shaft exited the housing. The groove was wide enought to see over a range of take off trim settings that might be required for different loading conditions, so small adjustments could be made without loosing sight of the painted ring.

It looked to me like a simple, light, and reliable solution. I intend to do the same on my RV-7.

Last edited:
no panel indicator needed

I take off with neutral trim (trim tab aligned with elevator). I verify that by looking over my left shoulder before taking the runway.
In cruise, I turn the knob about 1/4 turn clockwise (nose down). You can feel the airplane.
I use full up trim for landing, holding little of no back pressure on the stick.

Trim Indication

I placed the trim in neutral and marked the shaft at the exit point from the housing. Disassembled and chucked the shaft in a lathe. Made a shallow score which was then painted.
As the ring appears or disappears, trim is approximately neutral.

KISS

Thanks guys- between the electronic solution and painting the cable, I'll go with painting the cable. Sweet and simple. I knew someone would follow through with the obvious answer.:D

Like yakdriver, I found how many fingers fit on the exposed shaft below the knob when neutral. I can usually get it within a half turn or so.

Remember it is slightly different for various load so all you need to know is where neutral is. And yes KISS is best. Don

Ditto for me! Simple, light, and will always work. Well, unless I pull a Stein.

That made me laugh out loud!

But...don't forget the benefits....you end up with a perfect benchmark for the throttle and even sometimes the mixture. Makes it harder to reach the flap switch like you used to, but then again texting on the Iphone is easier!

Even though I could extol all the virtues and extensive benefits of hacking off body parts in a propeller, I still probably would say it's not for everyone so do so at your own discretion.....! :)

I don't know Bill - we each do things our own way. For example, I may have gone about the process of getting a new engine in a bit different way than you did, but to each his own! :D

Cheers,
Stein

...I don't know Bill - we each do things our own way. For example, I may have gone about the process of getting a new engine in a bit different way than you did, but to each his own! :D

Cheers,
Stein
Now that is some funny Sh#$ there. :D

3 1/3 turns

on my 7 I take off with the trim neutral. To find netural I wind the trim in fully and then wind back 3 1/3 turns. I have a mark on the trim so i can count the turns. Simple reliable and cheap. Works perfect every time.
You can also check over your shoulder to see the trim tab is centred.

Peter

None

Make sure it is nuetral position when you make your first flight. I used to count the turns, but now I just look at its position and judge it to be relatively close. Works like a charm. The trim is just not that authoritative unless you are way out of wack.