JSERB

To the thought that no question is a dumb question, does one countersink or dimple the trim cover plate (elevator)? If I look at the platenuts I assume dimpling is the way to go but I am not satisfied with my "practice" dimpling of .030 scrap and if I countersink the same material I get an enlarged hole in order to get the screws to sit flush.

Thanks in advance,

Justin Serbent
Exeter, RI
RV-8 tail, wings on order

Justin,
FWIW, I dimpled mine on both planes and used countersunk nutplates on the elevator. I think I used the SS screws to attach since they seemed to have a flatter head. They did fit flush.
Good luck

To the thought that no question is a dumb question, does one countersink or dimple the trim cover plate (elevator)? If I look at the platenuts I assume dimpling is the way to go but I am not satisfied with my "practice" dimpling of .030 scrap and if I countersink the same material I get an enlarged hole in order to get the screws to sit flush.

Thanks in advance,

Justin Serbent
Exeter, RI
RV-8 tail, wings on order
Enlarged holes are a natural consequence of dimpling. In general, always dimple where possible (subject to the limitations noted in Section 5 of the build manual). It makes for a stronger joint generally. Good luck.