miyu1975

Well Known Member
After reading threads via the search on vaf I attempted bleeding my brakes today and failed. I bought a oil pump can and clear plastic hose. I pumped enough oil throug. Whyh the tube to get the air out of the line and then connected the tube to bottom of the brake. I then tried pumping the fluid in but could not. The fluid would not go in. I tried both brakes and the same thing... Also I took the bolt out of the master cylinder. am u missing something here..why couldn't I pump anything in ..

Sounds like you took the master cylinder caps off. Did you crack loose the nipple your trying to pump through, takes a ?? box wrench if memory serves. If you did those two things it should take fluid.

After reading threads via the search on vaf I attempted bleeding my brakes today and failed. I bought a oil pump can and clear plastic hose. I pumped enough oil throug. Whyh the tube to get the air out of the line and then connected the tube to bottom of the brake. I then tried pumping the fluid in but could not. The fluid would not go in. I tried both brakes and the same thing... Also I took the bolt out of the master cylinder. am u missing something here..why couldn't I pump anything in ..

Just starting with the obvious Ryan, did you hold the top hex nut with a wrench while unscrewing a 1/4 or 1/2 turn the lower part of the nipple in the wheel break cylinder? Once it is loosened, then you don't need the wrench to hold the top portion of the nipple.

The bottom part of the nipple is what opens and closes the fluid flow. Don't remove unscrew the whole part

Also, ensure that the master cylinder rods are fully extended. Even being pushed in an eighth inch will lock out the fluid.

Brakes

If you have the master cylinder cap off and the small zert fitting cracked open and still cannot move fluid, pull back on or shake each of the rudder pedals to make sure the valves are open.

Pat

One thing to consider.... It is almost impossible to get all of the air out of the low pressure side of the system. A bubble there isn't a problem.

What you can't have are bubbles in the high pressure side.

Thanks guys...from the responses I think you have fixed my problem. I did not loosen the nipple the crack the cylinder. should go well my second try out it with that info...

Plastic pump sprayer

A small plastic pump sprayer from Lowe's works good. Attach the hose to it, pump it up, hook it up and release the flow.

A small plastic pump sprayer from Lowe's works good. Attach the hose to it, pump it up, hook it up and release the flow.

Get the bigger chemical sprayer. The reason is that if the pump is in the brake fluid, it will pump air bubbles into the fluid and all you will do is add fluid and air to the brake system.

Just ask me how I know.

In the end, I used a two gallon sprayer like this. Cut the plastic wand off just behind the tip, heated it up and slide one of these into the end of the wand. I then slipped some nylon tubing over the other end and used that to fill my brake system.

With the valve on the tank, it makes filling it really easy.

On the other end, I bought a brass fitting to screw into the top of the brake reservoir and connected it to a one man brake bleeder kit to catch the excess fluid.

Also, ensure that the master cylinder rods are fully extended. Even being pushed in an eighth inch will lock out the fluid.

This is what got me. I just did this a couple of weeks back. The fluid would not fill the lines. Then I pulled the master cylinder all the way back to full extension, and the fluid filled in a just a couple of minutes.

After opening the nipple a quarter turn I was able to easily bleed the brakes tonight...took 10 minutes tops. Thanks again all, I can close this chapter now.