MaryR

I'm New Here
Hi, folks. I'm looking at an RV6A, a lovely plane from a meticulous builder, very low time (he lost his medical), IFR certified (I have my rating) and pretty much everything I want. BUT...I like back country and go into it some with my little IFR 152 (don't laugh, I CAN clear terrain if I get out in the early hours). My concern is the nose wheel. I've looked at the Aero anti-splat strut support, but I've also heard pilots of conventional RVs gripe about the small tires on rougher grass. I live on a private grass strip and my neighbor has no trouble with his tricycle 10. I'm not worried about a groomed strip, landed the 6A on grass on my trial flight. I'd just like a little more information about how delicate that nose gear is. To be honest, most of my flying will be onto asphalt or groomed grass. But I do like to get out there.

go visit Mike Seager in Vernonia, OR for a little transistion training. Vernonia is grass and not sure I would classify it as groomed.

Nose gear on the grass...

Wow! you are going to get a TON of opinions on this!

I'm a low time pilot building an RV-9A with mostly Cessna 172 time. The RV-9A was a good choice for me for many reasons, BUT:

1. Nose gear RV's are not as forgiving as Cessnas. A moment of inattention can cost you more in an RV than a Cessna. :eek:

2. Lots of folks fly the nose gear RV's off grass.

3. There us a company that advertises here on the list (http://antisplataero.com) where you can buy some additional hardware to add a little forgiveness for just a little money.

4. Train and fly careful. It is not a 152.

5. Enjoy!

CC

Dkb

Grass Strips

I don't know what Mike Seager's grass strip is like as I took my transition training from Jan Bussell. His grass strip is ANYTHING but groomed!!! As long as the nosewheel is treated with the respect it deserves (not a landing gear, it's for taxi only) it is fine the way it's designed.

My .02 worth.

The A models are fine on grass IMO IF you are very attentive, treat it right, and get it slowed down as much as possible.

I think you are talking about something other than "grass". In which case, I would not recommend an A model for that mission.

Mary!

Glad you found a plane and hope it works out. If you recall from my rv6a, it's pretty light on the nose (O320 with composite prop) and I can keep that nose wheel off the ground until very slow. I don't hesitate to go into Dietz, Lenhardts, Daybreak, and the like. But, strips like McKenzie Bridge or Gates are a bit too rough for my comfort level. my $0.02

I think the RV10 has bigger wheels so may not be good comparison.

Best of luck!

I think the RV10 has bigger wheels so may not be good comparison.

The 10 also has a rigid nose leg, and a pivot at the firewall with a stack of rubber donuts that act as a spring. It can only move up and down unless there is some major mechanical failure.

Way different than the 6 nose gear design. The tapered rod design allows movement up down, right left and various diagonals-----any direction the force is applied will deflect the nose wheel.