ericwolf

Well Known Member
I fitted the wing root fairings and have 1/4" gap to the fuselage. I'm having a heck of a time getting them installed with the rubber seal however. I didn't have much trouble with the flat top piece, but the piece that wraps around the leading edge seems impossible to get on. Thoughts?

Use a few bits of electrical tape to hold the back of the channel in place while installing. Getting it on the first time is a bit of a trick, but a few weeks on the plane it takes a set and reinstalling the next time is easy.

I don't recall my gap but it was <1/4"

Hi Eric......

.....try placing the rubber against the fuselage an inch above the wing and hold it firmly against the fuse. As you lower it onto the wing, it'll fold upwards from the friction against the fuse...have a screw/screws handy to go in immediately.

Regards,

It might be a trick:
I had trouble with the rubber seal when
it was (what I thought) mounted
correctly.
When I turned it over so the flat side
was up, it worked much better.
Tom

Thanks guys, I'll try the electrical tape trick. I was using the method that Pierre describes, but it wasn't working around the leading edge curve.

Yep, once this stuff is 'trained' to go on correctly it will go on with no problems in the future. Mine was a bear to get right too, but now it's pretty good.

I also used Pierre's technique and additionally I misted the fuselage side with a bit of soapy water, very weak solution like what you would use to put a decal or vinyl on. The soapy water helps the compressed rubber to side against the fuselage side into proper place.

Is there any typically accepted gap between the fairing (w/o rubber) and the fuselage? I see you had 1/4". Dan Checkoway mentioned 1/8" in his site. I'm cutting mine now and would like to find out what is best.:eek:

I also found this thread regarding installation and adhesive to hold the seals on - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=38693&

I actually trimmed the top fairing to 3/16" and the other one to 1/4" because I had trouble getting it on. Now I wish that I had stuck with the 3/16" for everything. I guess I'll see how well it fits once I get it on and decide if I need to attempt to make a new one or just glue it on and live with it. It is only on one side - the other side is still untrimmed.

Another point,,,the air temperature when you're fitting the rubber strips makes a big difference. The first time I try-fit mine, it was in the high 70's... piece o'cake. Went right in. The next time it was in the low 50's and they were a bear to get in there. In fact, so uncooperative, I gave up and went to other tasks. If you're in WI this time of year, I assume it's might nippy up there still. :D

Trimming May be Necessary

I had to trim my rubber pieces so they would lay right. I just used sharp scissors.

Hans