ericwolf

Well Known Member
I'm having a tough time applying the UHMW tape to the leading edges of my flaps. It is difficult to line them up and fit the curve. Is there a trick to this? One thing that would probably help (now that I think of it) is to trim them to the proper width before applying. Any other ideas?

My suggestion, and it is just a personal preference, is NOT to apply the tape to the flaps. Attach the tape to the underneath side of the wing trailing edge skin that extends beyond the rear spar. This way you get the anti-scuffing of the UHMW tape but it does not show!! Apply it and then cut off any that goes aft of the wing skin trailing edge with a razor blade.

Cheers,

db

My suggestion, and it is just a personal preference, is NOT to apply the tape to the flaps. Attach the tape to the underneath side of the wing trailing edge skin that extends beyond the rear spar. This way you get the anti-scuffing of the UHMW tape but it does not show!! Apply it and then cut off any that goes aft of the wing skin trailing edge with a razor blade.

It's been my opinion, that any paint that you want to protect.......is to use the tape over the paint, since you've still got a rubbing action every time the surface moves. I've also put it on the fuselage where the sliding canopy fits up tight against it. The tape on my flaps, actually looks real good. Straight, and no bubbles.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Best to not use UHMW tape. After several years, even if the plane is indoors most of the time, the tape will get brittle. I also agree that one needs to put it under the top skin for sure, and perhaps on the paint also. I spend quite a few hours removing the old, 7 year old UHMW tape from the flaps. It had gotten streaked and greyed from the underside of the skin. I had to use a little plastic chisel I made, and scrap every little crumb of it off. Then lots of rubbing with solvent to get the goo off. No fun. I replaced it with a clear urethane tape, sources of which can be found elsewhere in these forums.

You mean urethane tape like leading edge type tape? Brilliant! I've seen stainless steel used. I don't like the UHMW either (ugly) although I've used it. I'm going for the urethane idea. Gotta be better.

Hmmmm...the urethane tape gets me thinking. At this point, the airplane has no paint and won't until after I fly it for a while. I'm considering using the UHMW tape under the wing skin for now, then peel that off for painting and apply urethane tape to either the wing skin or flap leading edge (depending on which way I'm swayed). Sound like a good plan?

EDIT: I'm assuming that peeling off the UHMW tape won't be too hard after a few months to a year of flying.

Stainless Steel Tape & the Plastic Tape

I put stainless steel tape on the curved surface of the leading edge of the flap over the full range of travel and I put the plastic tape from Van's on the flat surface underside of the wing skin. After 5 years of flying the plane it is like new. I have seen some very bad delamination of the plastic tape from the bent flap skin at the very front. You have to work through a lot of things like this as you build the plane and it is good to take the time to really deeply think through every decision when you just know there is a better way to do something. Often my visualized perfect solution is nonsense when I look at the hardware and another thought cycle is required.

Bob Axsom

Cheers,

db

I applied the tape on the flaps the first time. After a couple years, it turned yellow and was a major pain to remove the adhesive as it separates from the UHMW film.

Applying under the wing trailing edge this time is my preference. It is now not visible but will continue to provide protection from scuffing or scraping.