tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I am wondering if anyone has any neat tricks that might be followed for installing the nosewheel tube on an A model RV. I've now managed to pinch (pop) two, and I have another 3 on order (argh). I followed the tips in the manual (lube up tube and tire with baby powder, partially inflate tube, etc.), but I still seem to be having problems.

Apparently I am the first to have these challenges...I couldn't find anything in the archive. Anyone have any especially useful advice?

THanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Talcum powder

and partially inflate the tube.

the powder (I probably used glass beads from the epoxy kit) lubricates the tube so it slips up inside the tyre better.

Then engage the nuts on the bolts by like one thread and then stuff a piece of cardboard in between the gap to check there is no tube in between the pinchy edges before you fully tighten.

Frank

Scott, it sounded scary, but I managed to do it w/o much trouble. Aside from baby powder, you may use some dish soap to lube up the inside edge of the tire to help it slide onto the rim easier. Also, I used the method mentioned in the RVator (last issue, last year) where you squeeze the tire with a few clamps... works good.

Good luck.

The tube gets pinched when you tighten the nuts on the wheel halves. I was able to avoid pinching the tube by pressing the wheel halves togther using several bar clamps, then tightening the nuts.

Vise

You can also use a vise. I have a woodworking bench with a wooden vise but you can tape a couple of paint stirrer sticks to the jaws of a steel vise and after you hear the metallic "clink" when you align the two wheel halves, that tells you that the tube is NOT pinched. Put it in the vise while holding the two halves tightly together and install the bolts and nuts.

An alternative is to use a piece of threaded rod and oversized washers. Put the rod through the center of the wheel and a washer on each side while you tighten the nuts by hand bringing the two halves slowly together, checking for any pinching,

Regards,

Use "Quik-Grip" clamps

I used 4 of the Irwin Qwik-Grip clamps. After placing the tube inside the tire you can use the clamps to squeeze the tire beads together so that they both are pressed onto one half of the wheel. This keeps the tube captive inside the tire so it doesn't even touch the wheel gap much less get pinched. Good luck.

It also helps to seat one bead of the tire on one wheel half. A small arbor press or a vise might help in this regard. This leaves more room for the tube as you bring the halves together.

There generally is no one who hasn't wrecked a tube or two on the nose wheel during assembly.

I cut strip of plastic about 1 inch wide from a round plastic bottle and put it between the tube and the rim. It keeps the tube from falling between the wheel halfs when putting the wheel together. It just stays under the tube until you instal a second one. Also tire talc works great. I use it on motorcycle tires all the time.

I just installed my tubes last week and fortunately did not pinch any. For the nosewheel, I installed the bolts and initially tightened them until there was about 3/16" gap between the wheel halves to avoid pinching. My recollection is that this is where the nuts are just barely threaded on. I then used an inspection mirror (small dental type) and a flashlight an noticed the partially inflated tube protruded between the halves. I let out the air in the tube and (I assume it retained its shape at this point) and using a piece of popsicle stick inserted between the wheel halves, pushed any protuding tube back inside of the tire. I went around the circumference a couple of times and inspected with the mirror until I was as confident as I could be that the tube would not get pinched. I then tightened the bolts, inflated the tire and had no problems. They're still fully inflated.

All good advice...I think I'll try a couple of these options in the next go-round. This is the sort of info that really makes this forum useful! I just wish I had more of the useful info to provide (instead of always requesting).

Thanks again,

Scott
7A Finishing

Tube Trick

The little lancairs use the same tire for their mains that we have on our nose. One trick I learned from them was to cut a strip about 3/4" wide from a manilla evelope (I used a Coors Lite box) , cut it to a length long enough to make a ring (like the oshkosh armbands) that is the same diameter as the center of the wheel. Stuff your tube in the tire and one half of the wheel. Slip the armband over the center of the whell and then install the other wheel half. The Coors Lite armband keeps the tube from getting pinched when the wheel halves are bolted together. Another option would be to cut down tire liners used in bicycles.

It works for me, YMMV

Gary

tx_jayhawk said:
I am wondering if anyone has any neat tricks that might be followed for installing the nosewheel tube on an A model RV. I've now managed to pinch (pop) two, and I have another 3 on order (argh). I followed the tips in the manual (lube up tube and tire with baby powder, partially inflate tube, etc.), but I still seem to be having problems.

Apparently I am the first to have these challenges...I couldn't find anything in the archive. Anyone have any especially useful advice?

THanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

I've got 2 solutions for you:

1) Put the little wheel on the back and you won't have that problem

2) Trade me your panel and I'll fly down there and do it for you!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :)

Cheers,
Stein.

I learned the hard way. It's truly amazing how the wheel halves can cut out sections of the tube like a cookie cutter if pinched. Vans sent 2 nose tubes with my kit. I guess they figure it always takes 2. The first is a sacrificial training aid and the second is supposed to be the working tube :)

I worked for an hour trying to get the tube in without any pinching. Ultimately, I had to stop and sleep on it. Last night I got the tube in and wheel halves together in about 10 minutes.

Step 1: Install talced tube and inflate a bit to get all twists and wrinkles out.

Step 2: Install the wheel half with the stem hole and press it into the tire as far as possible.

Step 3: Inflate the tube a small bit to again get wrinkles out and stabilized the tube. Deflate COMPLETELY.

Step 4: Line up second wheel half and insert bolts. Start nuts on the threads.

Step 5: Press large sections of the tube out of the split with fingers. Tighten nuts bit by bit to close up while repeatedly pushing the tube out of the split.

Step 6: Once the split narrows to the point that a finger is too large to push the tube clear, I used a tool I made for this purpose. Continue tightening while checking the tube, using the tool to push it from the gap.

Here's the tool:

It's .040 aluminum shaped like a bent tongue depressor. Simply insert through the axle opening and it slips right into the gap, gently pushing the tube inside. Once the gap gets down to around .040, the tube stays where it belongs.

I did it by myself with 1 clamp. I found it easy to lay the assembly flat on my bench with just enough overhang to get a nut on 1 bolt while pressing the top wheel half down. Once the first nut is holding, the clamp is used to hold the assemble in alignment to start the nuts on the other 2 bolts.

Jekyll

I used the 4 Irwin clamps like Hawkeye 7A, I could see the mating surface of the wheel halves all the way around, so I knew I wasn't pinching the tube. I also used a little bit of inflation and lots of talc. I was really worried, especially knowing that they automatically send you 2 tubes, but it ended up not being a big deal.

cardboard tube

This worked for me:

I wrapped and taped a cut up manila file folder around one wheel half before putting it in the tire. The cardboard wrap is just wide enough to cover the split between the 2 wheel halves. Inflate the tire tube just enough to give it some shape. Slip the other wheel half inside the other end of the cardboard tube. Install the bolts. The file folder cardboard tube stays inside the tire.

working on the cowl,
Steve