Steve Barnes

Well Known Member
I recently purchased an RV6 kit from a friend at a reasonable enough price to build and sell. The fuselage is nearly done and the wings are nearly done. It was built as a tail dragger. As far as saleability is concerned, would it be better to modify as an A, or just complete as is? Number two idea is to purchase a 7 vert. stab. so it looks more modern. I have noticed that in recent years there is a dwindeling supply of new tail wheel pilots, so thats the reason I'm considering changing to an A.

Keep it like it comes

There is enough to complete without the complications of the change. Not intended to enter the tail vs nose dragger thing.

I have a 6A with the "old tail"; which a member of the forum calls a "classic tail". I think that's a good description, and I like the looks of it! Other than that, I'd leave it as a six tail dragger. I don't think it's worth the effort to change.

L.Adamson

Change it

I converted a flying 6 to a 6a. It took 6 months of no flying and the $s but it was well worth it. I would pay $10,000 more for a 6a.

Leave it...

It all depends on the buyer. Some want a NW and others a TW, it all comes down to what your customer wants.

Tri or Tail?

I converted a flying 6 to a 6a. It took 6 months of no flying and the $s but it was well worth it. I would pay $10,000 more for a 6a.

Personally:

I would spend $2-3,000.00 getting an extensive tail wheel checkout another couple of thou. on an expensive present for my wife and the other 5 thou. on a good autopilot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion;) If you cannot consistantly land a tail wheel plane in a moderate to severe crosswind, you will eventially bend an A model Vans aircraft.

The techniques are different, but are easily learned. We just had a Cessna go off the runway at my local airport because the pilot "wheel barrowed" the plane onto the nose wheel by trying to force the plane on the ground with the yoke while trying to land in a crosswind. When the nose wheel is on the runway and the mains are off---there is little to no directional control.

The guy probably has over 2000 hrs total time but just forgot about full stall landings and forced the Cessna onto the runway.

Learn the techniques of landing a tailgragger and you'll never have to worry about landing with the aux. wheel up front again.

Nomex suit on standby!

tri or tail

I have almost 3000 hrs in TW aircraft. I'm only interested the saleability of tri vs TW. I'd just as soon build a TW, because its easier. I just don't know how many buyers out there are qualified or are willing to get qualified as a TW pilot.

Leave the stock vert. stab. It is a classic, and fits with the the rest of the airframe.

Van will only fly nose wheel aircraft to air shows.......... Ask him why?.........:eek:

If you watch trade a plane, controller, VAF classifieds, and e bay the TWs and nosewheels seem to come and go at the same rate. I doubt one is more saleable than the other.

More important than where the wheel is is how well built the plane is, The aesthetics of the paint and interior and how it is equipped and of course the price.

what?

Airshows only??
So Van doesn't plan on flying the 10 (nose wheel) he built with his brother?

Steve

Show me the nosewheel

Steve, I think the point is that Van flies nose wheel airplanes to airshows to show them, and nose wheel airplanes are what most people want to see.

Personally, I'm a tailwheel guy.

Last edited:
Mannon, can I borrow your NOMEX suit

Steve, I think the point is that Van flies nose wheel airplanes to airshows to show them, and nose wheel airplanes is what most people want to see.

Most people who don't have the confidence in their flying abilities..

Enjoy the build or keep it for yourself...

I recently purchased an RV6 kit from a friend at a reasonable enough price to build and sell.

I did the math when I was looking for a project. Even if the kit was free by the time you add in the Finish Kit, FF parts, engine, prop, avionics/instruments, wiring, paint (or not), 1000 hours to complete, you still end up with an airplane worth about what you put into it. You might be able to make a few bucks if you go cheap, "used" parts on pretty much everything, and are a really efficient builder.
So, enjoy building it because that is what you will get out of it. Of course, that experience is priceless in my opinion.
I would keep the kit as is. It will be sellable either way and you will have a lot more work to finish it than you might think so switching to nose wheel would be expensive and time consuming.
As with all things right now, prices are pretty depressed. You might do better if you can hold onto it for a while.

Most people who don't have the confidence in their flying abilities..

I'm getting tired of this................and will change my previous answer....to convert to a nose gear.. :)

Other than that, it's again being practical. The "other" thread relating tailwheel accidents due to lack of visibility is a good example.

I personally know two pilots who ended up cramming a Pitts S2B into a aircraft towing tractor because the tractor ran out of gas at the wrong time, with a blinding setting sun behind it. This aided in my decision to finally go with the nosewheel, where visability is improved.

Now, other than that, RV8's must be taildraggers for WWII markings. It's the only reason I can thing of.. :D

Apparently RV taildraggers are not that hard to fly, so the RV TD pilots aren't really macho enough! :) They don't behave badly enough, and are easier to see over the nose.. :)

And lastly, REAL taildraggers are meant for bush type flying along with tundra tires. This is where taildraggers are truely practical. If you don't dare take your RV into those type of conditions, then get a REAL taildragger!... :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I feel better now!

I'm getting tired of this................and will change my previous answer....to convert to a nose gear.. :)
L.Adamson --- RV6A

You really had me concerned. From your previous post, I thought someone had stolen you identity. But you forgot to tell him that it will never sell unless it has a constant speed prop.

You really had me concerned. From your previous post, I thought someone had stolen you identity. But you forgot to tell him that it will never sell unless it has a constant speed prop.

Mel,

It must have a constant speed prop, electric elevator trim on the stick, sliding canopy, optional aileron trim (I really like mine, see below).........to sell well! :D And throw in a 696 on the panel too! :)

P.S. --- I'm more than thrilled with my little electric trim tab on the aileron ---- as Van's did in the old days, but still available. Being set in my old ways, I've never liked bias springs. But FWIW, the aileron trim really does make a difference when flying alone, or with two in a side by side.
Anyone who says different.........doesn't like a well trimmed airplane! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ 0360/ Hartzell CS/ Garmin 696/ sliding canopy

edit: I knew I missed something.............electric flaps. No more reaching between two people for a flap handle. Just a finger on the convenient switch, while the rest of the hand is on the throttle.

Last edited:
I recently purchased an RV6 kit from a friend at a reasonable enough price to build and sell. The fuselage is nearly done and the wings are nearly done. It was built as a tail dragger. As far as saleability is concerned, would it be better to modify as an A, or just complete as is? Number two idea is to purchase a 7 vert. stab. so it looks more modern. I have noticed that in recent years there is a dwindeling supply of new tail wheel pilots, so thats the reason I'm considering changing to an A.

Good question. While you are at it, why don't you ask what is the best primer to use too!!
:D:D:D

Leave the stock vert. stab. It is a classic, and fits with the the rest of the airframe.

Van will only fly nose wheel aircraft to air shows.......... Ask him why?.........:eek:

HERE IS A HINT..............

I personally know two pilots who ended up cramming a Pitts S2B into a aircraft towing tractor because the tractor ran out of gas at the wrong time, with a blinding setting sun behind it. This aided in my decision to finally go with the nosewheel, where visability is improved. L.Adamson --- RV6A

Other than that, it's again being practical. The "other" thread relating tailwheel accidents due to lack of visibility is a good example.

I personally know two pilots who ended up cramming a Pitts S2B into a aircraft towing tractor because the tractor ran out of gas at the wrong time, with a blinding setting sun behind it. This aided in my decision to finally go with the nosewheel, where visability is improved.

Now, other than that, RV8's must be taildraggers for WWII markings. It's the only reason I can thing of.. :D

Apparently RV taildraggers are not that hard to fly, so the RV TD pilots aren't really macho enough! :) They don't behave badly enough, and are easier to see over the nose.. :)

And lastly, REAL taildraggers are meant for bush type flying along with tundra tires. This is where taildraggers are truely practical. If you don't dare take your RV into those type of conditions, then get a REAL taildragger!... :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I guess with this philosophy I would never have flown a Pitts or a T-6 or a Mustang or a TBM or a Stearman etc, etc. The big secret is that none of these airplane are particularly hard to fly they just take a little training. Also I would rather take a severe beating rather than install the gear mounts and wing bolts in a tri gear 6. Don

Good Job

Thanx guys, I think I'll build the 6 like GOD (Van) intended, before man got involved with switching things around. A tail wheel it will be.