danielabernath

Well Known Member
imgsvr.ashx

I have reassembled with new trim servo. I am confused by the words "Back the clevis rod end off one full (Wesley Shierman-maker note l l/2) turn. Tightend the jan nut AGAINST THE CLEVIS ROD END.

also look at page 8 of the Van Manual https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-12/Section_11.pdf

Could one of you old dogs tell me what I am to do?

Last edited:
I actually use two jam nuts here ? one against the square output block of the servo actuator and another against the end of clevis. This makes the pushrod assembly very rigid. Prior to adding the jam nut against the clevis I could see motion between the threaded shaft and the clevis.

29leh7c.png

I actually use two jam nuts here ? one against the square output block of the servo actuator and another against the end of clevis. This makes the pushrod assembly very rigid. Prior to adding the jam nut against the clevis I could see motion between the threaded shaft and the clevis.

29leh7c.png
Am I jamming nutting the An315 up against the AN685-21R?
Would a drop of lock nut be good here?

Maybe rent an A&P for a couple hours?
(it's primary flight controls - real life and death stuff)

Last edited:

I did both - I use one jam against square end of servo and another jam nut against the AN685-21R clevis. I suspect a thread lock would work well with the AN685-21R.

Could one of you old dogs tell me what I am to do?

Yes.

Your difficulty is not the manufacturer's fault, as the instructions are perfectly lucid. Speaking with your welfare at heart, please hire a qualified aircraft mechanic in your local area who can assist you with hands-on instruction and/or maintenance.

The jam nut is to be locked against the AN665-21R.
Think about it. The clevis fork is free to turn. The jam nut prevents it from coming loose.
Not sure what a "drop of lock nut" is.

The last a and p I hired put too much oil in and RV12 then spit hot oil all over the front wheel paint, heating up the paint and then burning it.
The other a and p man i hired to do an annual condition inspection did nothing but look over the bulletins and then signed off.
The other a and p man said he wouldn't come near an experimental and that his only advise was to "sell it."
An avionics man said that he would install the servo and then changed his mind and said "we can't make money off of experimentals so we're not going to do it" "Make friends with the other Van owners and ask them". (thats what I do here and thank you for your wise and experienced counsel)

Ft Myers Florida lacks in quantity and QUALITY of A and P men. I earned a law degree (in 2 instead of 3 years) and I didn't know a collateral estoppel from a res judicata about the law at one time. So, I am learning this as I go along as it is apparent that the only person you can trust is yourself.

Another flier at KFMY regaled me with the story of his A & P man. After he did his A&P stuff the pilot took off from the airport. Immediately smelled gasoline and the plane sputtered. He remembered to not spin back and into the ground at the airport so he flew straight for ten miles as the plane sputtered. On the ground the engine caught fire. The issue? A and P had disconnected the fuel line for some reason and then the telephone rang. He must have just looked at the fuel line and saw that the two ends were touching. He forget that he did not retighten the fuel line. Aircraft and Powerplant man. Pilot-light sport. (The A & P man said he was "sorry." Maybe he said that he was "very sorry").

We were all naked babes at one time but we had to learn and did so.

This is what I was suggesting (as some people suggest two lock nuts); a drop of this under the nut
1427763099994379170.jpg

Last edited:
Hi - I think people are just nervous because of some of the issues you have posted about and the relative unknown condition of the plane you have.

Stick to the Vans manual on re assembly, I would not use thread lock on a Jam nut as a jam nut is a method used to prevent loosening. But if you want to deviate in any way from Vans manual I would call them and ask, their support is exceptional.

Sorry about you AP experiences, there are plenty of A&Ps out there that are excellent and will help you, its just about finding one.

As an A&P I am finding some of the stories remarkable, and I don't feel representative of us in general.
Of course the next question begs for an answer, did you report all this misbehavior to the fAA? You do have a responsibility to do that you know. Did you see any of these peoples certificates? I assume you have log book entries they made?
I think you will agree, no mater how much alphabet one has after their name, the BEST help will come from someone who actually built one like yours.

I think you will agree, no matter how much alphabet one has after their name, the BEST help will come from someone who actually built one like yours.
I am a member of EAA chapter 66 and am in contact with a builder of an RV 10. I've got to learn these things and your input is most appreciated.

As an A&P I am finding some of the stories remarkable.
I think you will agree, no mater how much alphabet one has after their name, the BEST help will come from someone who actually built one like yours.

Reminds me of when I had the engine on my C-152 overhauled. The AP/AI that handled the R&R of the motor flew to my airport to pick me up after it was done. Watching him taxi up to my hanger I could see the nose sitting high and the nose wheel strut was fully extended (and locked straight). He commented that that my steering rods must be weak because he had to use the brakes to steer! Granted that the shop minions probably did all the R&R work and overcharged the strut, but he should have known what the problem was immediately. Heck,,,he even has a C-152 in his rental fleet! I found another AP/AI on my field much more competent.
And I would agree that making friends with other home builders on your field can really come in handy for learning proper building standards and helping out when you just get stuck on something.