Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
The weekend of the 28th I will be flying from Carson City (CXP) to Los Alamos (LAM) to visit my daughter. This will be my first flight over 2 hour?s duration in any aircraft that I was piloting. Do any of you have some tips or information that you will share?

Dayton, you got music input for your intercom? It's a very nice to have on these longer trips...

Have fun!

Thanks I need to install an I pod input in the intercom system
I need to know about local weather and where to stop for fuel along the way.
My route is to go to Jean, NV (OL7) for a stop then fly over Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) to AEG then stop in Santa Fe, NM. What tools should I carry? Are there any curiosity cars available? What altitude is the best for that area?
Information that a local pilot would share.

Dayton Murdock said:
Thanks I need to install an I pod input in the intercom system
I need to know about local weather and where to stop for fuel along the way.
My route is to go to Jean, NV (OL7) for a stop then fly over Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) to AEG then stop in Santa Fe, NM. What tools should I carry? Are there any curiosity cars available? What altitude is the best for that area?
Information that a local pilot would share.

http://www.airnav.com. Visit the Fuel section for all kinds of good info.

RE: Trip Ticket

Dayton Murdock said:
Hi All
The weekend of the 28th I will be flying from Carson City (CXP) to Los Alamos (LAM) to visit my daughter. This will be my first flight over 2 hour?s duration in any aircraft that I was piloting. Do any of you have some tips or information that you will share?

Dayton

Remember that planning you did for your long xcountry pre PPI...Thats the ticket. I would suggest KSGU / KPGA / KLMA or KABQ .......Beauty, lower mountians, maybe more safe havens if the need arises.

Frank @ SGU RV7A

Music is a must have.
Empty your bladder B4 flight.
A drink such as water or gatorade to sip, not gulp.
Sunshade, I bought the cheapo suction cup ones from Wmart.
Small pillow to adjust for comfort where needed.
Knee board and velcro pencil keepers.
Keep batteries and flight info within easy reach.
The Vans shoulder harnesses can be iritating without padding for your neck.
Keep a camera handy also.

Check the weather this week

Determine when you are likely to leave, add in one or two stops (perhaps another not long before going to LAM) and check the weather at that time this week.

It will probably be hot (high density altitude, higher ground speed at normal indicated appoach speed) and possibly thunderstorm activity.

Santa Fe is another option just before you go into LAM. Do be refreshed when you land there (LAM)

P/P OPPS

Ironflight said:
1) Boonie Hat

2) Piddle Packs! ;)

Alright Paul and other that have been checked out. How does one get in a proper stance to use the Piddle Pack in a 7 let alone a 8 without localized spilliage! Sorry but with advancing age my water retention system has gone from at least 5 to 6 hours down to 2.5 or less. Is there a doctor in the house. :confused:

Frank @ SGU Panel/Electrical plus designing a P/P holder

Awkward topic, but here goes. The control stick is right in the way and you might want to practice on the ground in your hanger. Plan B might be sweats or baggy shorts that are easy to operate so to speak. It is actually pretty hysterical the gyrations that you will go thru learning what works for you in one of these little planes. I'm betting you'll end up with the carpet pushed up to the firewall if you have any in your plane and your frustration will be doing battle with your amusement at the situation your in. :eek:

Good luck,

Oh, and a good two-axis autopilot is a go/nogo (pun intended) item for me in the manuever! :)

RE: CFI for P/P

Paul and others that have been checked out in the finer skills of flying the plane and taking care of natures call. In a 210 for me at least not a big problem but ....well now how should I put this.....very carefully....size considerations make it, at least for me impossible in a reclined position, to have the angle necessary to hit the receptacle................no thats not true...I probably couldn't even get close to it. :mad: Now I know all you masculine, testastrone laden he man pilots who don't suffer any inadequcy probably find this thread a bit out of line.....but please have some heart for we who are less than!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? :eek: I know that If I could event a device that would help poor souls like me I could make a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Dayton sorry! It seems I have commandeered your thread. This should really come under training for unusual flight attitudes and lose of pilot awareness

Name with held to protect self image...na :D

Frank @ SGU RV7A Panel/Electrical inventing an RV PEETOE TUBE

Last edited:
fstringham7a said:
I know that If I could event a device that would help poor souls like me I could make a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Your too late: http://www.stadiumpal.com/index.html But really, look to the sailplane world for inflight relief systems...those guys have alot of practical experience with it, typicaly in a more reclined position that in atn RV.

Fighter Pilot's Breakfast

Dayton, years ago I used to fly sailplanes on the Aleghanie ridges. Much of it was in the cold of winter. In a glider (sorry sailplane) you cant stop for a pee 150 miles from home. At least your friends are not going to thank you for a 300 mile round trip drive, to get you home.

Early in my career it was pointed out to me that what I eat before I flew was crucial. It has a major impact on how quickly you have a problem. I was told a 'Fighter Pilot's' breakfast was what I needed and that meant high protein. So perhaps bacon, eggs and orange. A couple of steaks perhaps as well if that is to your taste. The things to avoid conversly were coffee, corn flakes and pancakes with a good drizzle of maple syrup. They give you a problem

I am not medical so I cant explain, but it certainly works. I remember lasting 7hrs on one occasion, though summer not winter, but up to 13000'. over Altoona.

The alternative is VERY good quality ziplock bags and very smooth air!

WRT the effect on the structure, I once owned a glider made by Pilatus. In very formal english the handbook said if you pissed in the fuselage please wash it out with 7 changes of water!

As far as I can see, otherwise a 3hour trip is just like 3 one hour trips back to back.

Have fun!

Steve Sampson said:
The alternative is VERY good quality ziplock bags and very smooth air!
Or a Travel John piddle pack. Or a Gatorade bottle or three.

I've been playing around with external catheters and leg bags and what not. Still not totally happy with the setup. My RV-8 will 99% likely have a relief tube, and I'll probably wear an external catheter that will link up with it for use on long trips.

For now I use Travel John + Gatorade.

Dan - seriously, be very careful where your new system exits the aircraft. In gliders that was another alternative but typically folk would turn the 'system' on to full flow, only to find it had frozen at the exit and was backing up. You will find it very hard to turn off at that stage!

Watch the Airspace...

..going into Los Alamos. If you come in from the south and swing west, It is easy to creep into the restricted space. They have NO sense of humor up there!

Dayton Murdock said:
Hi All
Dayton,
Gary Sobek posted the following in the SoCal RV list yesterday, and I liked it so much I put it in my "saved mail" collection for future reference. I hope he won't mind if I pass it along.

From Gary Sobek:
September will be 10-years since first flight of my RV-6. I arrived
in Pennsylvania this week. This is the 15th time across the US in
this airplane.

I am posting how I have done it for others that are just about to make
their first long cross-country flight in the airplane they built.

The first trip was the first time that I have made a trip that long in
a small airplane. Back then, I kept remembering what my flight
instructor taught me as a student pilot. With the advent of GPS in
the cockpit, it is easy to DIVERT to another airport or to turn OFF
course to better flying weather and another airport. If I did not
like the way it looked ahead, I would turn to better looking weather.
I always remain in legal VFR conditions. Once on a different course,
I will use the GPS to find another airport to aim for that has fuel.

When picking fuel stops, I use www.airnav.com to check prices. I many
times have it find me a route using my cruse speed and range as the
same number. They way, I have fuel prices at airports every hour in
route. I tend to pick fuel stops that have cross-wind runways and
they do not always have the lowest price. Give a choice of two
airports with cross-wind runways and same fuel price, I will typically
pick the one with the higher elevation as that will require less time
to climb back to cruise altitude. I once made the choice of flying to
Durango instead of Four Courner's airport as Durango had fuel for $1
/ gal less and it was over 1,000 foot higher elevation.

I am presently in Pennsylvania. My route of flight on this trip was:
KCCB - KSJN ($3.75/gal) - KBGD ($3.80 / gal) - KMBY ($3.28/gal) - KBMG
($3.74/gal) - KVVS ($4.20/gal).

The above was not a direct route. I turned more north at BGD to get
behind a front where I had better weather. I did do a lot of left and
right diversion through Ohio on the last leg as there were RAIN CELLS
scattered around. I turned the airplane to lighter areas that had
good visibility. Yes I did fly in some rain but I had 5 miles
visibility or more all the time. Once clear of the rain cell, I would
hit GO TO on the GPS to get me flying direct to my destination. 1/2
way through the route, I was 15 minutes behind my estimated arrival
time due to diversions. The second 1/2, I picked up 18 kt tail wind
so arrived at my destination at my estimated time.

I do have a planed route when I take off. I will deviate from the
course if weather is questionable. Typically looking at national
weather maps, I know if I should divert left or right of course. I
tend to turn away from Air Space and also away from weather.

I keep asking myself, can I remain in VFR conditions? Any time the
answer is know, I find an airport to land at. If I turn 45 degrees
off course to maintain VFR, I ask myself, will this get me to my final
destination sooner than waiting? If the answer is yes, I will fly in
VFR conditions a long way off my planned course on what is now my new
course for the end result. If safety is a factor, I land. If I am
only going to burn more fuel and get to the destination at the same
time as if I were to stop, I land and wait.

You need to be able to find nearest airport on your GPS quickly. You
need to know how to change the destination on your GPS quickly. You
need to know how to use a map and where you are on the map at all
times for when the GPS FAILS and it will.

Hope this helps the new guys that are making their first LONG trip in
the airplane they built. There are now 2,025 hours on my hobbs meter.

Gary
__.

oy your trip and fly safe,,_.___