Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Tried the archives, no luck. Anybody have a recommendation for a lightweight and small tire pump to carry in the toolbox? I've been thinking of a bicycle pump - something that I wouldn't use on a regular basis but would get me out of a jam if I had a flat in the middle of nowhere.

thanks,
greg

Interesting question. I wonder though, if you had a flat and pumped it up for takeoff, would it still be inflated enough to land? I recently ordered a front tire and tube from Van's as I plan on gathering some essential tools/parts for travel emergencies. Perhaps I should have ordered a mainwheel tube as well:confused:

Maybe a better solution would be to carry a can of "Fix-A-Flat". Small, lightweight ... and will seal the leak in the tube so you can get home.

Anybody know a reason why that's not a good idea?

If you truly have a "flat", the first big issue is how to get the airplane up off the wheel pant - just to get the pant off! (been there, done that more than once...)

If you can get that done, if it were me, I wouldn't want to take off with that same tube unless I saw the guy that had stolen my valve to deflate it in the first place - landing with a suspect tire is nerve-wracking. So carry a new tube if you're headed in to the boonies. And in that case, a bike tire inflater might not be a bad idea - but make sure the valves are compatible before you commit.

We just replaced our bike tire pumps (on our bikes) with CO2 inflators BTW....haven't had to use one in anger yet, so no PIREP.

Paul

Maybe a better solution would be to carry a can of "Fix-A-Flat". Small, lightweight ... and will seal the leak in the tube so you can get home.

Anybody know a reason why that's not a good idea?
Not sure "fix a flat" is a reasonable expectation in a tube type tire. Typically the tube will tear and that is not going to reseal with a product like that. In a tubeless tire, yes it might work if the hole is small.

Flats

I'll say it again...DO NOT let your tire pressure get LOW!!!

If you can just do that one simple maintenance item chances are very good that you will never get a flat :D

My personaly minimums are Mains 35 PSI, nose 40 PSI, when I add air I pump them up to 40/45 PSI. I check them once a month.

I'll say it again...DO NOT let your tire pressure get LOW!!!

If you can just do that one simple maintenance item chances are very good that you will never get a flat :D

My personaly minimums are Mains 35 PSI, nose 40 PSI, when I add air I pump them up to 40/45 PSI. I check them once a month.

Walt, what kind of problems have you had with lower pressures? I air up my mains to 30 PSI when the plane gets hard to pull, which is somewhere south of 20 PSI. I have never had a flat and have operated from some sub-optimal surfaces. I know it is very possible to get a flat from a mesquite thorn or similar sticker, no matter the pressure.

When pressure get low in a tube tire, the tube will start to "work" or chafe against the tire sidewall from excessive flexing. This causes wear to the tube and then pinholes are the result. 99% of the flats I've seen on tubes are not from puctures but from pinholes in the tube from working against the tire.

tire inflator

Guys go to the aviation department of wallmart and buy a battery booster with work lite tire inflator 12v power supply usb powersupply/charger you get all this for $39 or $49 for the larger one and you can jump start when you leave the master on inflate your tire or another pilots tire and charge your cell phone ond power your laptop or ipad or your handheld garmin when your altenator quits. I dont fly or drive without it.

cyril

When pressure get low in a tube tire, the tube will start to "work" or chafe against the tire sidewall from excessive flexing. This causes wear to the tube and then pinholes are the result. 99% of the flats I've seen on tubes are not from puctures but from pinholes in the tube from working against the tire.

That very thing happened to me when I ran the mains at 25-30 psi in my -7A. Now, I have run them at 45 psi for the past 4 years with no issues.

I carry a small, lightweight air pump, probably meant for inflating basketballs or footballs that seems like it would work, but probably because I'm more watchful of my pressures and keep them up, I haven't had to use it.

Mike

Vince,

That looks like a perfect idea (once I get the airplane jacked up). I will be ordering one of these soon. How many CO2 cartridges does it take to pump up a standard main tire (RV-9)? If I get a flat, my predilection is to just replace the tube to be sure. I usually carry a spare tube for just this purpose on the theory that if I have the proper replacement, I'll never need it! And yes, I do try to keep my tires properly inflated, but S%*& happens and I'd rather be prepared.

cheers,
greg

Google for "slime air compressor". I used one for my motorcycle when riding out in the desert boonies. Comes in a small carrying case and is only $25.

Vince,

That looks like a perfect idea (once I get the airplane jacked up). I will be ordering one of these soon. How many CO2 cartridges does it take to pump up a standard main tire (RV-9)? If I get a flat, my predilection is to just replace the tube to be sure. I usually carry a spare tube for just this purpose on the theory that if I have the proper replacement, I'll never need it! And yes, I do try to keep my tires properly inflated, but S%*& happens and I'd rather be prepared.

cheers,
greg

Greg,

I have used CO2 cartridges to pump up my main tire. It takes four to do it right. If my tail wheel goes flat I don't know what it will take. :D

Not sure "fix a flat" is a reasonable expectation in a tube type tire. Typically the tube will tear and that is not going to reseal with a product like that. In a tubeless tire, yes it might work if the hole is small.

Yeah, I thought of that. However, I was considering the situation where you're stuck somewhere without a repair facility or other help. How would you jack the plane to remove the wheel, to replace the tube? Just carrying a spare tube won't do you much good.

If most flats are indeed from small pinholes and not large tears, then the Fix-A-Flat option seemed like it has possiblilities to seal and inflate for an emergency repair without having to remove the wheel.

Just a thought. In fact, I think I'll get one for my emergency kit. Still makes sense to me.

Need a lift.

...... I was considering the situation where you're stuck somewhere without a repair facility or other help. How would you jack the plane to remove the wheel, to replace the tube? Just carrying a spare tube won't do you much good.

I always travel with at least two strong guys to put their backs under the wing to lift the wheel. ;) You can always find a block of wood (chock) or brick to hold it up while you work on the wheel.

I am not sure why the tube would suffer chaffing if you used pleanty of powered soapstone or talcum powder in the tire when installing the tube. Most tire companies send the powder with tire purchase. If not baby powder, etc. will work and allow the tube to move easily within the tire chamber. Many of the tires come with a light coating of soapstone powder already applied. Once the tube is installed in the tire it is a good practice to let the air out of the tube and re-inflate at least once if not twice. That practice along with the lubricating properties of the powder allow any creases in the tube to be eliminated. (I used to sell over a million tires a year through my company and that is my qualification :))

I always travel with at least two strong guys to put their backs under the wing to lift the wheel. ;) You can always find a block of wood (chock) or brick to hold it up while you work on the wheel.

That's a great idea, Ron. Why didn't I think of that??

Oh, maybe it's because with two strong guys taking up the seats, there would be no room for ME! :D :D :D

That's a great idea, Ron. Why didn't I think of that??

Oh, maybe it's because with two strong guys taking up the seats, there would be no room for ME! :D :D :D

That's not how he does it. He keeps them a couple of feet off his wing. :)

I borrowed one of the CO2 inflators this weekend to fix a flat. Pretty slick. So now I did a little research on these that everyone might benefit from.

- It took 3 cylinders to pump my tire up to 40psi. I can't remember what size the cylinders were, but I think they were 12g.
- Cylinders come in threaded and non threaded ends. Many of the new bike inflators only work with threaded, but some will work with both. Make sure you get the right ones for your inflator.
- Common cylinder sizes - 12g, 16g, 25g
- Many cylinders can contain oil or other impurities that will degrade rubber. I'm told the ones for BB guns that you can buy at Walmart have the oil to help lubricate the guns. I haven't verified this though. The guys at the local bike shop warned me to only use the ones designed for the inflators for this reason. Maybe they wanted to sell more bike stuff... who knows.

I'm not sure how long the CO2 will take to leak through the pourous tube material. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge on molecule size etc. could answer this. I normally just use compressed air, but understand that Nitrogen has benefits due to the larger molecule size will not leak through the rubber as fast.

I bought an inflator that would take the threaded cylinders and a few 16g and 25g cylinders. I'll let you guys know how they work if/when I use them again.

Greg
RV-7

Greg,

I think the following can answer some of the questions about the molecules.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Bottom line is that it has to do with the nature of the diatomic bond between two nitrogen atoms compared to a bond between two oxygen atoms.

CO2 is probably even better than either of these in terms of (less) leakage, as it should be larger than either O2 or N2.

greg