houndsfour

In an eairler post (thread?) I had asked about flying from Chicago to Savannha, Ga.
I want to thank all who gave me some very good info. Now after my wife noticed that big pile of rocks between here and there, she thonght there must be somewere we can go with having to cross the mountins. We want to go south say around Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana. Any RV'ers out in that part of the country who could sugest a long weelend trip?
Thanks
Rich
RV-6 721ET

What rocks? Are you referring to the Appalacian Mountains? Man, those things are nothing for a RV.

You might want to take a look at Gaston's resort in Arkansas. Nice grass strip next to the lodge and you can catch trout on the White River. Great little place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocks

I have to agree with you about the RV flying over the mountins BUT the war department don't like rocks higher than the Sear's tower.
I'll check out Gaston's resort. I could go for a cool trout stream.
Thanks
Rich RV-6 721ET

houndsfour said:
I have to agree with you about the RV flying over the mountins BUT the war department don't like rocks higher than the Sear's tower.
I'll check out Gaston's resort. I could go for a cool trout stream.
Thanks
Rich RV-6 721ET

Is there anything between Chicago and Savannah higher than the Sear's Tower? :D I once lived a few miles from the highest point in Ohio which was something like 800 ft--I was quite amused that they even had a ski area. In about 3-4 minutes of climb in an RV you could be well higher than the highest Appalachian peak, but I understand the need to make the powers that be happy. Good luck.

My wife and I really enjoyed Birmingham. They've got a minor leage baseball team (ChiSox organization, even!), several nice restaurants, some good outdoor malls (with guy stores, too), and I like the hilly scenery. The gas was a little expensive (I think the FBO was Mercury), but they gave us a car for the day and had rentals. Had a line guy there to park us and guide us out (I was only in a 172, so I was impressed).

Mt. Mitchell is the highest point on the East cost

Located in North Carolina and topping out at 6,684 feet / 2,037 meters Mt. Mitchell (Latitude 35 degrees 46 minutes North, Longitude 82 degrees, 16 minutes West ) is an easy climb for any RV.

Heck I even got over it in my 65 hp T-Craft. Of course you won't be as low as those pictures so "no worries".

Thanks to everyone for their ideas for a flight down south. Think we're leaning toward the Carolinas. Ya, the flight director said we can go over the mountines.
Thanks again
Rich
721ET

Mountains

Come west my friend, we'll show you mountains. Those you are talking about are classified as hills.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

houndsfour said:
Thanks to everyone for their ideas for a flight down south. Think we're leaning toward the Carolinas. Ya, the flight director said we can go over the mountines.
Thanks again
Rich
721ET
Another option is to go south of the "mountains" and then east to Savannah.

**BUT** if you chose the mountain route, consider a stop in Asheville to tour the Biltmore. Then on to the rest of the Carolinas. Looks like the entire area is going to be nice this weekend.

James
Columbia, SC

BIG rocks

RV7 GUY
I know what you mean about flying west. Last year 3 of us took a Defient over the mountins (ya I know it's a plastic airplane but it was a free ride) direct from
Helena, Mt. to Bellingham, Wa. on our way to Alaska. WOW, thems was BIG rocks. Crossed at 12,500 ft. with ox.
I thing I'm going to take the cruise drector on a short ride to Kentucky Lakes State Park this weekend to get her used to the airplane. If all go's well we'll to down to Savannah, Ga. latter in the month. May be better to wait alittle bit before going south. Those FAA guys have their hands full right now.
Anyone know how the airport in Savannha treats little airplanes?
Rich 721ET

savannah airport

The airport here is pretty easy to take. General aviation parks on the southeast side of the airport (in case you haven't seen the AFD). We have dead people in the E-W runway. You might could ask the controller to see the markers. 100LL was 3.79 today at self serve. Signature is usually much higher.

james kleen
rv8 wings
savannah