KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
I am approaching the day when I will need to move my wings to the airport and I was hoping to get some insight regarding the best ways to transport them. Any advice, and pictures if available, would be much appreciated. My wings are completely finished and leaning on a wall without any cradle setup. I am not opposed to building a cradle for transport if that is the recommended way.

Thanks,

Keith

Myself and another builder were both ready at the same time to do this. We split the cost of a U-Haul truck and loaded all 4 flat inside the truck, with plenty of padding under them of course. We thought about doing it on a flat bed, but we were paranoid about flying rocks on the 15 mile trip down a 2 lane state route. Hope this helps.

I did just this last month. I also rented a Uhaul for my wings, and straped them down nice and tight.

12-9-06-009w.jpg

12-9-06-010w.jpg

I did use my cradle inside, and they made the 20 mile trip with out any problems at all!

KiloWhiskey1 said:
I am approaching the day when I will need to move my wings to the airport and I was hoping to get some insight regarding the best ways to transport them. ...
I had a Ford Taurus wagon at the time. A little pipe insulation on the rack crossbars and I took them, strapped to the roof, to the airport, one at a time. Easiest part of the whole building process.

Because the airport is only 15 miles from my house, by making two trips I simply loaded one wing at a time laying a wing flat in the 6' bed of my pickup truck with the tailgate down. The flaps and ailerons were reinstalled at the airport.

Moving the wings this weekend

From what I have read here, moving the wings in the cradle will not damage them.

Is that correct?

No damage to mine. Just make sure your cradle is lined up with the nose ribs. Worked great!

cjensen said:
No damage to mine. Just make sure your cradle is lined up with the nose ribs. Worked great!
It doesn't so it sounds like time to get my saw out and shorten the cradle, not the wings. :(

wings

My wife and I took 'em to the airport in the cradle on a U-Haul trailer hooked to her Subaru Outback. Held in place with straps, ropes, duct tape! Absolutely no problems. Dollies under the cradle ends made them so easy to move. Cost $24. Bill

Look like the 1st flight is getting close.

N941WR said:
It doesn't so it sounds like time to get my saw out and shorten the cradle, not the wings. :(
Bill, will you be at OSH with your plane this year?

Kent

Bill Dicus said:
My wife and I took 'em to the airport in the cradle on a U-Haul trailer hooked to her Subaru Outback. Held in place with straps, ropes, duct tape! Absolutely no problems. Dollies under the cradle ends made them so easy to move. Cost $24. Bill
I screwed castering wheels on the bottom of the cradle when I made it 3+ years ago. Great for moving it around the shop but not so useful in a dirt hanger. :(

kentb said:
Bill, will you be at OSH with your plane this year?

Kent
Good question. I figure there is still a few more weeks to go on the fuselage and then there is that thing about the 40 hours for phase 1 and having a full time job.

The short list of things to do at home is:
1. A little fiberglass on the canopy and paint it gray like the rest of the fiberglass work.
2. Fit the gear leg and intersection fairings. (Clean up of these items will be done while flying off the test time.)
3. Bundle the wires in the cockpit
4. Connect the vent lines (they are in there but not connected)

That's about it. All the rest of the stuff has to do with assembly and engine timing. Nothing big.

Last edited: