PIN 37

Well Known Member
I am about to get my aircraft painted and I need to find a way to transport the wings to the painter. How did you guys do it, i dont like the idea of transporting them in the jig (Vans plan design) made for storing them during construction. I am being told to transport them flat, but I am worried that the unsupported edge where the flap and aileron sits may get bent strapping them down. Any suggestions or, preferably, photos of how you did it successfully?

I've moved multiple sets of wings in a box truck, pick up truck, and a trailer. All of them were moved using a standard wing stand. You can see some photos at the link below of moving my wings back to the hangar after being painted.

The wing stand is strapped down to the trailer in multiple locations. The gravity holds thes wings in the stands pretty good. I also have c clamps hold the spar to the stand. I also added a couple straps and furniture pads over the top for stability. You do have to be careful as to not bend the trailing edge of the wing.

display_log.php

These are RV8 wings after 15 mile journey to the airport. They fit the cargo van.I was even able to load them myself.

Wing transport

I transported my wings in the back of my Excursion. They will also fit in the back of a minivan laying down. Just use a lot of padding and make sure the back hatch is tied down against the padding on top of the wings (I used 3" foam on top of the wings).With proper padding you don't need any tie down staps and its a smooth ride.

Mike