rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I have searched the threads and haven't seen much about transporting finished wings (no paint or glass) flat on a trailer. They would be well padded under, padding, plywood, padding, second wing, then plywood covering both. I would lay them flat side to flat side with the crank down on the lower and up on the second wing. With plenty of padding and support, I can't see a problem, but thought I would ask. Most carry them upright in a cradle, but some have laid them down. They fit better on my trailer laying down.

Anyone with good or bad experiences laying them down? It will be a long distance trip back. Thanks.

I transported in a cradle but don't see a problem transporting the way you described. I might not use plywood on top though. Just use WAY TOO MUCH padding and you should be fine.

Thanks. I have tons of blankets, padded blankets, and 6" batts of insulation. If it wasn't so itchy, I wouldn't mind ridding there! Plywood on top because a QB fuselage is going there!

We transported my wings from Kansas to Nevada laying flat in a rough riding lifted Dodge 4X4, No problem.

Shipping flat

I shipped two wings laying flat, one under the fuselage which was on wheels and one under a 1952 John Deere B, from Kenosha, Wi. to Elk Park, NC, 750 miles. Now I'm flying the RV7A.

Larry
N200LL

Numerous times I've seen salvage companies haul wings by doing nothing more than strapping them down to a flatbed trailer. Mine were hauled this way when they dismantled my -6 at SNF. Ruined the paint but didn't damage the wings.

Memory Foam or Egg Crate

I've often pondered the same thing myself. Given the amount of time into these wings i would hate for one pothole to have it's way with them. I think a couple memory foam pads or egg crate pads (i'm thinking at least 4" thick) would make a nice bed to transport the wings flat. Could probably stack on top one another with a pad in-between. Here is a link. Cheap Insurance I think.

http://www.target.com/p/enhance-highloft-4-memory-foam-topper-white/-/A-13287538

Lots of padding, lots of tie down straps.

Lots of miles traveled (750), arived just fine.

SUNP0012.jpg

Last edited: