Sparky

Well Known Member
I will be relocating from the Minneapolis area to the Atlanta area in a few months and would like to get some input from others who have had to pick up and move their unfinished RV project across country.

My RV-7 (taildragger) fuselage is finished to the point where it is on the gear and the slider canopy is attached. The wings are basically done and stored in a castering wing cradle. The empennage parts are done and packed in individual boxes. I do not yet have the engine, propeller, or most of the avionics. None of the fiberglass parts are installed yet.

What's the best and least expensive way to transport it? A 24' or 26' U-Haul truck would work, but costs about $1,000 plus $350 for gas. Does Partain's Transport do this sort of thing? Are there any other options?

Choose lowest stress solution!

I moved my project twice with a 26' u-haul truck, including one move of almost 800 miles. It worked fine with the u-haul but given that cost is about the same to go with Tony and you'd have to figure out how to get it done yourself, I'd take advantage of his services. In hindsight, it would have been much less stress for me and I've heard he's good at what he does.

If you decide to do it yourself, there are links to pictures of how I did it in the following threads:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=268002#post268002

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=236952#post236952

Good luck!

Tony sounds like a plan!

We moved my 8 project from Dallas, TX to Sandersville, GA in a U-Haul. Poor quality truck and a fuel hog. $1600 for the truck plus fuel. We moved my 6A project from Colorado Springs, CO to Sandersville, GA on an open trailer I bought from the party that had the project for $500. The gas out and back was nearly $600, plus rooms & food for three days and the lost time. I sold the trailer to a local for $600 upon our return. We moved a friend's 4 project last February from Dearborn, MI to Atlanta, GA and it cost about $800.

Tony has a great reputation, the proper equipment and insurance. To me as has been said in the post before, he is a bargain, based on my past experiences.

Partain it is...

Thanks for all the replies. Tony Partain it is then. I've heard nothing but good comments about his service.

Tony, I'll give you a call as soon as I have a firm date.