rwarre

Well Known Member
I plan on picking up my quickbuild fuselage and finish kit from Van's sometime in May. My question is can I transport the parts on a flatbed trailer. Would like any advice on how safe this method might be or should I get a truck. My reason for picking it up is: a chance to see Van's and a break from building. I would traveling from Colorado. Thanks in advance.

Crating or no

If you are having it crated your have no worries. I picked up my qb wings and qb fues from the freight firm in Michigan and got it back to Canada with a 16 trailer with about 1'5 inches to spare. Some good straps and you feel like a king on the highway. If you go uncrated, doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Anything from stone chips to bracing it properly to absorb road issues...not worth the stress.

Call U-HAUL in Portland and see if they have any trucks that need to go to Colorado (where you live, or close by) then just fly in and Van's will load the truck. Or at least they did for me when I went for my 6A. The van works great because you need sides to tie off the wings to................ Call Van's they will tell you what you need.

If it's crated

I picked up a 7 fuse and wings QB for a friend with a 6x12 flat trailer with no problems at all. Just take lots of straps, and tarp it if it's raining. Also, remember that some states have lower speed limits if you're towing a trailer. Ask me how I might know such a thing. :(

QB p/u

Hey Randy, if you're thinking of hauling your QB on an open trailer and there's a threat of rain, tape up the crates' plywood seams with "red technical tape" (product used for taping polyethylene and house-wrap membrane). Works great...keeps the H2O out. Things to bring...tie down straps, polyprop rope, cordless drill, drywall screws (different lengths) a star bit (of course) a few pieces of scrap 1" and/or 2" lumber for bracing the floor for side to side and fore and aft movement. (this assuming a wooden deck:D) Oh, and a snow shovel!:eek:
good luck! Enjoy the trip.
regards.

Last edited:
We did the QB pickup at Van's. It saved the cost of crating and we got a free mini ski vacation out of it. Rich and I flew to Portland and picked up a rental truck and blankets. Van's people did a great job packing everything for the trip back to Wisconsin (2300 miles) and we got to meet everyone and toured the factory. We stopped in Utah and went skiing for a couple of days. The whole trip cost about the same as crating and shipping and we were able to see that the plane was safe on the way home. We picked up our QB wings and fuselage, finishing kit and FWF kit all at once.

Roberta