Humrnv

I need to trailer my RV-6 that currently doesn’t have an engine or panel about 4 hours to my new hangar. I got a job offer I couldn’t resist in the middle of doing an engine overhaul. I need to move it to my new hangar close to me so I can finish it.
Any suggestions on what has work in the past for people?
Any things to watch out for on removing the wings?

Removing wings - not to be taken lightly. There are 76 bolts, and that’s just the wing spar center section. The larger bolts are close tolerance interference fit bolts and care must be taken to make sure you don’t damage the holes in the spar or carry through structure, or splice plates. Make sure you mark the splice plates - upper/lower, forward/aft. They have to go back in the same location. You’ll probably need help wiggling the wing up and down/forward and aft - from the wingtip area while you try to tap the bolts out. Use some penetrating oil. Be prepared to purchase some new bolts in case you mess some of them up in removal. 2 helpers to pull the wings out to place in your prepared wing rack. Plan on a full day. Good luck.

As Scott stated, its a big day. Its not difficult, it just needs time, effort, a pre-removal yoga class to limber up and a post-removal back massage to get everything back in place afterwards. Label everything. New bolts could well be a good idea as any marks on these should be considered with a high level of scrutiny. Make sure you have some drift pins available. Having a couple of parts trays (one for each side of centreline) will help you keep the parts together and avoid then getting lost. Label everything! Low-tack masking tape is handy for this as are those plastic boxes you can get from the hardware store with compartments inside.

2 helpers is minimum.

Once you get the wings off I recommend you take the gear leg fairings off too so you can use a ratchet tie-down around the legs to stop the fuselage from moving around on the trailer. One ratchet tie-down per leg is sufficient, and one around the tail-spring. I assume you're leaving the empennage on (?), however if you were taking it off make sure you have the bolts installed that go through the tail-spring weldment on the rear bulkhead, otherwise you'll do a lot of damage. If you ARE taking the empennage off, normally you would be wise to add some ballast down the back least the tail rises up to smite thee (or the roof of the hangar), however as you've indicated your engine is out this won't be an issue for you.

The wings will quite happily lay inside a trailer one on top of the other (with suitable foam padding between them!) if you don't have a cradle for them. I transported mine to and from the paint shop in this manner without any issues at all... and the drive was long... and over a mountain pass. The photo shows how the fuselage was tied down on the back of a flatbed truck. Again this was perfectly suitable for the long trips it did pre and post painting - it didn't budge an inch.

Attachments

• 20211122_101020_resized.jpg
    20211122_101020_resized.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Removing wings - not to be taken lightly. There are 76 bolts, and that’s just the wing spar center section. The larger bolts are close tolerance interference fit bolts and care must be taken to make sure you don’t damage the holes in the spar or carry through structure, or splice plates. Make sure you mark the splice plates - upper/lower, forward/aft. They have to go back in the same location. You’ll probably need help wiggling the wing up and down/forward and aft - from the wingtip area while you try to tap the bolts out. Use some penetrating oil. Be prepared to purchase some new bolts in case you mess some of them up in removal. 2 helpers to pull the wings out to place in your prepared wing rack. Plan on a full day. Good luck.

As Scott stated, its a big day. Its not difficult, it just needs time, effort, a pre-removal yoga class to limber up and a post-removal back massage to get everything back in place afterwards. Label everything. New bolts could well be a good idea as any marks on these should be considered with a high level of scrutiny. Make sure you have some drift pins available. Having a couple of parts trays (one for each side of centreline) will help you keep the parts together and avoid then getting lost. Label everything! Low-tack masking tape is handy for this as are those plastic boxes you can get from the hardware store with compartments inside.

2 helpers is minimum.

Once you get the wings off I recommend you take the gear leg fairings off too so you can use a ratchet tie-down around the legs to stop the fuselage from moving around on the trailer. One ratchet tie-down per leg is sufficient, and one around the tail-spring. I assume you're leaving the empennage on (?), however if you were taking it off make sure you have the bolts installed that go through the tail-spring weldment on the rear bulkhead, otherwise you'll do a lot of damage. If you ARE taking the empennage off, normally you would be wise to add some ballast down the back least the tail rises up to smite thee (or the roof of the hangar), however as you've indicated your engine is out this won't be an issue for you.

The wings will quite happily lay inside a trailer one on top of the other (with suitable foam padding between them!) if you don't have a cradle for them. I transported mine to and from the paint shop in this manner without any issues at all... and the drive was long... and over a mountain pass. The photo shows how the fuselage was tied down on the back of a flatbed truck. Again this was perfectly suitable for the long trips it did pre and post painting - it didn't budge an inch.
I’m contemplating taking the HS off and putting it in a Uhaul or leaving it on and just getting a flat bed trailer and putting the wings underneath it. I’d like to just do the installations where it’s at but it’s hard getting down there to work on it so I can.

Well I decided there was to much potential for damage and other issues to disassemble and transport it. So I decided to do the work in place. Got the engine installed and need to work on the details next