Hack

Bad deal. A small crack off my left shoulder noticed in flight, progated with a loud "CRACK" all the way to the top just before landing. About 1/6th in. separation at the worst place in the crack. Will not comment on my verbalization when this happened.

Anyway, I want to get it to a place where my friend and I can work on it (about 500 mi). Any ideas on the best way to get it airworthy.
Plan right now is to :
1- put it together with Weldon #3
2- back that up with duct tape on both sides since it is not in line of sight
3. fly around 110 k. as I go.

Would like to hear any of your thoughts.

I also have read most threads on tinted canopy's but most were quite old. Anyone have any good stories pro and con on tinted.
Also recommendations on where to get a canopy other than Vans.

Thanks guys
hack

I had a small crack in my canopy and needed to fly my Phase 1 time during a harsh, cold winter. The crack -- about 3" long -- made me nervous, naturally.

I bought a piece of thin plexi and cut out a piece large enough to cover the crack about 2" wide and glued it in place with super glue after stop-drilling the crack. That stabilized the crack and it didn't propagate all winter, and eventually replaced the canopy prior to painting.

I would think that a similar fix would stabilize it enough to transport, but I'm sure others will have better ideas.

What about scuffing it up for 1-2 inches on either side of the crack for its entire length, and then doing a few fiberglass layups on it? You could use fast hardener if time is a factor. Ugly as heck but I dont think its going to go anywhere and you could time the trip so no one would see you : )

erich

I also highly recommend Todd's Canopies. His product is excellent and he is an All-American in my opinion. Very pleasant experience for me.

David Watson
49FD

My thoughts were the same as Erich's. You fiberglass the canopy to the forward canopy skin and if you use a targa for a tipup. It will hold permanently. If it's not in the line of sight, you could even fix this permanently by coming up with a pleasing shape, maybe some sort of rounded shape all the way to the aft end of the canopy, which would be sort of a sunshade. It would depend on the location of the crack. I'd contemplate this before replacement. The big bubble still provides plenty of view! Just extend the glass a couple inches past the crack.

Did

I drilled holes about 1/2 inch either side of crack. I laced like a shoe except that I used zip locks (good ones). it worked very well. Just wanted to close the loop and thank the guys that had input.
hack

cracked canopy

I had a similar experience i stop drilles the crack and got 3 or 4" clear packing tape and applied it to both inner and outer surfacses covering the crack and overlayed layers half covering the one over the crack. I flew home normal cruise no problem.

cyril

I drilled holes about 1/2 inch either side of crack. I laced like a shoe except that I used zip locks (good ones). it worked very well. Just wanted to close the loop and thank the guys that had input.
hack

Well, it sounds like you have a knack for taking the slack out of Hack's crack. I hope it doesn't come back ... :D