LuisR

Well Known Member
Any tips on transporting RV-10 tail parts:

Completed rudder
Completed Vertical Stab
Completed Horizontal Stab
Partially completed elevators.

I have a short bed Crew Cab Silverado and a single axle 8 or 10 foot trailer.

The biggist piece (H. Stab) is 134" or just over 11 feet. Any suggestions on best way to orientatie it, flat, on aft edge, etc...

For anyone who has done this before who did you do it. It's a 2 hour drive on the highway.

Thanks.

If it were me and with the drive being relatively short, I'd ride down with someone and rent a box truck one-way to bring it back. All those parts are very light and the thought of them bouncing around on a trailer for two hours makes me cringe. At least with a box truck you'll have more of a suspension and not to mention plenty of tie down points.

Just a thought.

Have you thought of this?

A year or so ago I moved RV-10 parts from Pompano to Atlanta (empennage, tailcone and wings) in a 16 foot trailer. You have much less to move and a much shorter distance.

My empennage and wings were in cradles, which helped, but if I were you - find a company that sells furniture pads in bulk. I'm not talking U-haul, but there should be someplace local that has them. Don't buy the cheap ones that U-Haul or Penske rents when you rent a truck - buy the heavy duty ones like the movers use.

Buy at least a dozen and use them to wrap up each of the parts and use bungee cords or even packing tape to secure the blankets to the parts. Strap them down if you can but the ride on the SSP should be OK from Orlando to South Florida. The ride in the truck bed is probably smoother than in a single axle trailer.

I bought 3 dozen furniture pads a few years ago when my mom passed away. Seemed a bit excessive at the time, but that has become one of my more useful purchases. I used every one of them when I bought the tail and wings in Pompano and had zero damage.

You probably got the deal of the century buying that tail kit. You should spend a few more $$$ to move it safely.

Krea Ellis

Do you have the stands that were used to build the horizontal? I moved mine in the stands vertically.

The other parts can be laid flat as long as they're padded and supported with tie downs to keep them in place.

How long is your bed with the gate down?

I've moved several sets of built RV-10 wings in the back of a pickup in their stands. Not a big deal if anchored properly.

If it were me and with the drive being relatively short, I'd ride down with someone and rent a box truck one-way to bring it back. All those parts are very light and the thought of them bouncing around on a trailer for two hours makes me cringe. At least with a box truck you'll have more of a suspension and not to mention plenty of tie down points.

Just a thought.

I agree 100%. After starting the thread, I decided a box truck would be best for reasons you mentioned.

Katanapilot,

Yup, all good points. Will look for some movers blankets.

Did you finish the pompano -10? Your building a second?

Do you have the stands that were used to build the horizontal? I moved mine in the stands vertically.

The other parts can be laid flat as long as they're padded and supported with tie downs to keep them in place.

How long is your bed with the gate down?

I've moved several sets of built RV-10 wings in the back of a pickup in their stands. Not a big deal if anchored properly.

The seller will be building a -9. So not sure if he will part with cradles.

Bed with gate down is 8'. H.Stab would have an overhang of 3'.

If I can build the cradle for the H.Stab then I would put it in the bed. Hmm.

I'll have to dig up cradle plans. Have a link?

Yes and No

I'm keeping the wings and I just built a new tail out at Synergy. Needed to learn the skills and gain confidence in my abilities. Synergy provided me with a good start on both.

Waiting for tail to be shipped back to Georgia. In the meantime, I will finish the wings and get ready for a return to Synergy in September to build a fuselage shell. Already have a QB fuselage, but the sheet metal was damaged in transit from Van's - so the prudent thing for me is build a new shell rather than try to repair the one I have. Would be a good project with someone on a budget and with more experience in sheet metal.

Given the pace at which I learn and progress, you will probably be flying before me!

Good luck on the transportation and with your build. Go see Lenny!

Krea Ellis

Last edited:
Built 4 cradles using the strap method last night after work. These will be used for the H Stab. Thinking of building more for the V stab and rudder. What do you all think?

Will be using a 14 ft box truck rental. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Good plan

I had cradles for all the parts, except the tailcone - which I strapped to the floor on top of moving pads. Again, moved 700 miles and no issues. The cradles will be useful for storage at your build location, too.

It's South Florida - pick it up in the morning and unload it after 4 P.M. You'll miss the rain :D (Grew up in South Miami)

Krea Ellis

We've moved my tail feathers and wings all over the country. And an RV-8 tail halfway across the country twice. (We had a moving problem. LOL) After all that we have yet to put a ding in any of them. (Now that I said that, watch me dent one on the way to the paint shop...)

Each move, we wrapped the tail feathers up tight with shipping blankets and old comforters, then taped them up like big cloth packages. They rode flat on the floor of the box trailer, or this last time, on the couch. My elevators were unfinished, so we put a pillow of scrap foam rubber inside the skins and then taped them shut. The spars & stuff were wrapped in paper separately.

KatieB,

If it wasn't for the heavy rains forecasted through the weekend here, I'd probably use my truck and trailer. There are flood reports reported in the area and the rain will continue. Vero Beach reportedly had 11" of rain yesterday!!! I'll rent a box truck just to keep things dry and not have to worry too much if it's stormy on the way back.

The rental is a miniscual penalty. Thanks for your suggestions.

KatanaPilot,

Yup, I know this weather too intimately as well. Just trying to be prepared.

Something you might think about is to get some used mattresses to put on the floor for padding. Most Goodwill type stores will give them to you to get you to haul them off. In some states they cannot resell them and do not want to bother with them even if they can. after the move you can take them to the dump and get rid of them. Just a thought.

UHaul Van will accomodate -10 Horiz Stab

I bought about the same configuration (completed horizontal stab) about 1 year ago from guy in Tenn while I was living in Atlanta. I rented a Uhaul van for the day, it just barely fit inside but made for a safe easy transport. I am guessing total cost was around $250.

If you rent one of the new squarish Uhaul vans, the gas mileage is pretty good and you will need to remove (only a few screws) the barrier between the cargo area and the cab and this will allow the horizontal stab to fit in the van with all the doors closed.

Good luck

Steve

All went well today with the 15' box truck rental transporting the empennage. The Cradles worked out perfectly for the H.Stab. Had 24 rental moving blankets. Used almost all of them for mostly putting between the skins that have not been constructed. V.Stab and rudder were wrapped in blankets carefully secured vertically on the side of the box with straps. Patio pillows were placed on the floor for the V.Stab and rudder to stand on.

Another new beginning here. Just waiting on tools to arrive.