Coderekv

I just flew my RV-4 for the first time sunday after rebuilding it. I need a transponder, but I am confused as to what I actually need. ADS-B out, altitude encoder. What else? I have a slot for it below my (Garmin) radio in the center stack. The panel is full. Any advice would be appreciated.

I suggest the Garmin GTX335 with built in GPS and optional encoder, one box does it all, if you need/want ADS-B 'in' for traffic/wx, then the GTX345.

I just flew my RV-4 for the first time sunday after rebuilding it. I need a transponder, but I am confused as to what I actually need. ADS-B out, altitude encoder. What else? I have a slot for it below my (Garmin) radio in the center stack. The panel is full. Any advice would be appreciated.
We need more info. Do you ever plan on ifr? If so a TSO’d GPS is not mandatory, but nearly so today. If you do get one it can be the GPS source for ADSB. If just vfr, Trig, GRT, others, sell a remote gps suitable for adsb. Then you can choose a mode S transponder like the remote Trig TT-22 (mode S-ES), or a very inexpensive mode C Garmin 327 (used $400) plus a UAT. You’ll need an altitude encoder, too, if you don’t have one. Do you want an EFIS? A G5, GRT mini, etc will also have an encoder. Do you want ADSB-in? How will you display the data? Think in terms of a system, what will work with what, what costs more, what less. Don’t buy anything before figuring out what the total system costs, if everything works together, etc.

Why do you need a transponder? I uninstalled mine 15 years ago.. good riddance, don't need it.

Just VFR. I want to eventually base it at KAPA. No EFIS, using a Gen 6 iPad. I do not need ADS-B in. Foreflight and a Sentry will handle that. I do not have an encoder. What is a UAT?

Derek V

Screenshot from 2024-06-11 20-50-36.png

Just VFR. I want to eventually base it at KAPA. No EFIS, using a Gen 6 iPad. I do not need ADS-B in. Foreflight and a Sentry will handle that. I do not have an encoder. What is a UAT?

Derek V
Just in case you don’t get it, the previous poster put up the chart around KAPC, showing:
You do need a mode C (altitude encoded) transponder
You do need ADSB-out, which must use the same altitude encoder as the transponder.
A UAT is a ‘universal access transceiver’, operating on 978 MHz and one way of meeting ADSB-out. Other way is a mode S-ES transponder. Either way, they must get position data from a suitable gps. IPad gps is not good enough.

Would require replacing some stuff but probably not new holes in the panel. Uavionix AV-30E which has a bunch of features, one or which is to control their all in one tailbeaconX. That is what I upgraded to when my transponder was failing because the cost of new was about same price as uavionix which had many features I needed and wanted for class Bravo shelf I lived under.

I understand I need ADS-B out and altitude encoding. My panel is brand new with no more space available. I need a transponder solution that will fit a standard radio slot below my radio.. Plan is to base it at KAPA, not Napa (KAPC). So I know I’ll need to full transponder capabilities, I just am concerned about buying a transponder and then needing more parts to be fully compliant.

My confusion is, for example; “GARMIN GTX 330ES ADS-B TRANSPONDER”. Is this all I need?

Selling a transponder ADS-B out edition in excellent condition. Bought for installation but never installed. Possible delivery and payment upon receipt.
+Same as GTX-330 but includes Extended Squitter (ES) capability for ADS-B compliance capability
+Solid-state Mode S digital transponder with Level 2 datalink
+Solid-state transmitter provides 200 watts nominal power output
+Low power consumption, low heat emission, no warm up time
+Easy-reading DSTN Liquid Crystal Display reverses yellow numbers out of black for optimal viewing
+Dedicated VFR button allows for quick and easy 1200/VFR squawking
+Offers timing functions such as flight time and count-up/down times. Price $1,950 OBO

DereK V

My confusion is, for example; “GARMIN GTX 330ES ADS-B TRANSPONDER”. Is this all I need?
The 330 is a Mode S transponder only, you would still need a certified GPS source and an altitude encoder to interface to it.

Having a 330ES myself, and having sold a couple of them (one returned because the guy didn't understand the requirements...)
I can speak to what you can do with it & what it needs.

330ES
The 330ES as Walt says is the transponder part ONLY. It needs altitude data (like any old mode-C transponder did).
If you have no panel space, and you don't have anything like a DynonD10A or Garmin G5 installed, then you need to add an encoder
For example https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/a30encoder.php?clickkey=7709

Then you still need a *certified* GPS (w/WAAS) source. Garmin makes a remote mount box that will provide this. I can't seem to find the part #, but they used to be about $750.
In my plane that's a Garmin 400W (but you don't have the space)...

TRIG
Trig makes a similar setup
TT-31 $2995
Their GPS rcv is the TN-72 $550 (no I don't think you can use it with the Garmin 330ES)
plus of course the Encoder.

uAvionix (tailbeacon)
Or, once you understand the limitations of UAT...
your existing mode C transponder (with encoder) and the uAvionix TailBeacon
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/uavionix_11-17246.php?clickkey=3435151 $2100
and it has built in GPS

I understand I need ADS-B out and altitude encoding. My panel is brand new with no more space available. I need a transponder solution that will fit a standard radio slot below my radio.. Plan is to base it at KAPA, not Napa (KAPC). So I know I’ll need to full transponder capabilities, I just am concerned about buying a transponder and then needing more parts to be fully compliant.

Selling a transponder ADS-B out edition in excellent condition. Bought for installation but never installed. Possible delivery and payment upon receipt.
+Same as GTX-330 but includes Extended Squitter (ES) capability for ADS-B compliance capability
+Solid-state Mode S digital transponder with Level 2 datalink
+Solid-state transmitter provides 200 watts nominal power output
+Low power consumption, low heat emission, no warm up time
+Easy-reading DSTN Liquid Crystal Display reverses yellow numbers out of black for optimal viewing
+Dedicated VFR button allows for quick and easy 1200/VFR squawking
+Offers timing functions such as flight time and count-up/down times. Price $1,950 OBO

DereK V
I recommend you stop and take a breath. Don’t first look at boxes, instead define the capability you want/need.

For example I would never think about flying in the Denver area airspace without an integrated moving map displaying traffic and weather. An no, an iPad does not met my criteria.

I’m surprised with you statement that you have a brand new panel - but are lacking the capabilities many of us consider mandatory. Perhaps you listing what you have is a good place to start.

Carl

For example I would never think about flying in the Denver area airspace without an integrated moving map displaying traffic and weather. An no, an iPad does not met my criteria.
I don’t know Carl. The ForeFlight map,weather,traffic display and audio alerts with an IPad and Sentry is awesome compared to my MGL EFIS.

One thing to consider (especially with a -4) is weight of the equipment. I had the option of installing a 330ES OR a 327/Echo UAT combo in my Rocket as an ADSb option. After comparing the weight of the 330 box and the 327, I went with the 327. That 330 is a brick! That said, I had an existing EFIS and TSO’d GPS nav so did not need to track down an encoder or nav source like the OP will need. The weight of the entire system will need to be considered.

And to Walt’s point, I did install a GTX 335 in my L-39 and that was a nice, all in one solution.

I don’t know Carl. The ForeFlight map,weather,traffic display and audio alerts with an IPad and Sentry is awesome compared to my MGL EFIS.
I do not consider an iPad reliable in the cockpit. I’ve had them turn off from heat.

If flying in complicated areas, an intergrated EFIS display (as far an I’m concerned) is required. I’m sure others will disagree. I’m not familiar with MGL so cannot comment on that.

I will grant you that doing this on an iPad is better than nothing. I ferried an RV-8 using an iPad for this. It was clumsy and was hard to use (as in I had to go to it to see as compared to having the information in front of me) and it failed on over temp. No, it was not hard mounted and I suspect an RV-4 will be hard pressed to find a way to hard mount any but the smallest iPad.

But shoot fire, if the OP is going to spend money, and is going to fly in a complicated area, then a capable EFIS is the path forward. Risking a blast from Walt about Garmin, I’ll say for the OP’s RV-4 a single SkyView 7” display with the Dynon (Trig) remote transponder, the GPS 2020 WAAS GPS receiver and the SkyView ADS-B receiver is a very good solution for a VFR ship in the complicated Denver airspace. I’ve flown this airspace (mostly IFR) and can report I needed all the help from the SkyView to avoid a thunderstorm and manage (as in negotiate alternatives) to what ATC was telling me to do.

Carl

I do not consider an iPad reliable in the cockpit. I’ve had them turn off from heat.

If flying in complicated areas, an intergrated EFIS display (as far an I’m concerned) is required. I’m sure others will disagree. I’m not familiar with MGL so cannot comment on that.

I will grant you that doing this on an iPad is better than nothing. I ferried an RV-8 using an iPad for this. It was clumsy and was hard to use (as in I had to go to it to see as compared to having the information in front of me) and it failed on over temp. No, it was not hard mounted and I suspect an RV-4 will be hard pressed to find a way to hard mount any but the smallest iPad.

Carl
My mission is just yank and bank VFR in LA airspace. In two years it’s been very stable. It’s Velcro‘ed to the panel. The only overheat warning I experienced was parked with it on in the sun. The great thing is even if it failed completely I can connect it to my iPhone instead. if I did it again I’d put an even bigger iPad in the middle and a smaller EFIS on the side.

Attachments

• IMG_4638.jpeg
    IMG_4638.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Just VFR Day/Night.

My Panel-
EI Engine monitor
Analog MP
Analog Airspeed
Tach (digital with analog display)
iPad 6 min with Foreflight & Sentry with a cooling fan mount
Analog Altimeter
Analog VSI
Compass
Analog Oil pressure
Analog Oil temperature
MGL Avionics Vega fuel computer (fuel level and flow rate)
Garmin GTR-200 Radio
USB power outlet (also feed the iPad mount

There is no real estate left. The small space left is getting my elevator trim indicator.

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I need;

Transponder with ADS-B out
Some sort of GPS/WAAS input signal
Altitude encoder

I think the Garmin GTX-335 checks all the boxes, except for the GPS antenna and the transponder antenna.

Derek V
N53AH
IO-360 angle valve 200HP CS Hartzel Prop

Since you seem set on keeping the iPad and not putting in a real EFIS (it’s your airplane!) I’d suggest the following as the low cost solution:
Keeping your iPad and ADSB-in set up.
Buy an gtx327 (mode C) transponder, available used almost anywhere for $500. Make sure it fits in the space you have below the radio.
Buy a compatible altitude encoder, $300 (new).
Buy (from GRT) a combo uAvionics Echo UAT with a GRT Safefly gps, $1500. This can be remote mounted.
Two antennas (transponder, UAT), $100-$300 each. Total $2.5 - $2.9K
Option B.
Check if the control head for a Trig TT22 will fit (1.8” high). If so, then
Buy trig TT22 mode S-ES transponder (control head on panel, electronics remote mount), $2.2K
Buy encoder ($300)
Buy GRT safe fly gps ($600) or Trig gps ($500).
One antenna $100-$300. Total 3.1 - $3.4K

Since panel space is tight on the 4, you might want to consider using an old Rocky Mountain uEncoder for the encoder. It fits in a 3.125" instrument hole. I will also give you airspeed, altimeter, VSI & OAT in one instrument [nice small back up for the primary of these instruments] See the link below for more info.

RMI uMonitor Installation Instructions

Last edited:

But shoot fire, if the OP is going to spend money, and is going to fly in a complicated area, then a capable EFIS is the path forward. Risking a blast from Walt about Garmin, I’ll say for the OP’s RV-4 a single SkyView 7” display with the Dynon (Trig) remote transponder, the GPS 2020 WAAS GPS receiver and the SkyView ADS-B receiver is a very good solution for a VFR ship in the complicated Denver airspace. I’ve flown this airspace (mostly IFR) and can report I needed all the help from the SkyView to avoid a thunderstorm and manage (as in negotiate alternatives) to what ATC was telling me to do.

Carl
Like Carl, I've had iPads overheat in the Florida summer heat. That said, if you want to try one, Kitplanes wrote a nice article on how to build a DIY cooler for the iPad. If interested, shoot me your email address via "conversation" and I'll email the article to you.

Since you seem set on keeping the iPad and not putting in a real EFIS (it’s your airplane!) I’d suggest the following as the low cost solution:
Keeping your iPad and ADSB-in set up.
Buy an gtx327 (mode C) transponder, available used almost anywhere for $500. Make sure it fits in the space you have below the radio.
Buy a compatible altitude encoder, $300 (new).
Buy (from GRT) a combo uAvionics Echo UAT with a GRT Safefly gps, $1500. This can be remote mounted.
Two antennas (transponder, UAT), $100-$300 each. Total $2.5 - $2.9K
Option B.
Check if the control head for a Trig TT22 will fit (1.8” high). If so, then
Buy trig TT22 mode S-ES transponder (control head on panel, electronics remote mount), $2.2K
Buy encoder ($300)
Buy GRT safe fly gps ($600) or Trig gps ($500).
One antenna $100-$300. Total 3.1 - $3.4K
Sorry but only a true hard core Garmin hater could possibly think the above is better solution to the one box solution I suggested above.

Yes, I am set on keeping my newly built panel. I started with a 26” x 18” x 1/8” piece of aluminum and made a panel. Changing the panel is simply not an option at this point, THAT SHIP HAS SAILED. I am NOT removing an instrument from a 3 1/8” hole and installing a different instrument. What I AM going to do is install a transponder and antennae(s) that allow me to fly within the 30NM mode C veil and class C and D airports day/night VFR.

My iPad mount includes a cooling fan and external power. i was hesitate to go with the iPad, but that decision is made and I am not going to change my panel at this point,

Ideally, I want to add ONE thing to the “shopping cart”, pay for it, install it, and JOB DONE.

VFR around Denver with an iPad and Foreflight/Sentry is not unsafe and not difficult. I have towed banners around downtown Denver with a radio that struggled to reach more than a mile and my iPad suction cupped to the right window of a Pawnee. (That radio works much better now). Legal and not a problem. If your personal minimums is G1000 day/VFR only, all good. I just need a transponder that will fit a standard radio slot under my radio and I’m not 100% sure what to buy to meet those requirements.

I would prefer to buy a used transponder and save some money, but it seems like buying used (after I buy a backplate, harness, etc). I’ll end up paying very close to new. I have spent the last 9 months rebuilding this aircraft (with help from friends) and this is the last major purchase + task to get it fully airworthy.

Derek V
RV-4
N53AH
IO-360 angle valve 200HP CS Hartzel Prop

Sorry but only a true hard core Garmin hater could possibly think the above is better solution to the one box solution I suggested above.
Walt, I’m honestly a bit offended. How can you call me a Garmin hater when I recommended he buy a Garmin? Albeit a different one. The OP refuses to remove his iPad from the panel (wouldn’t be my choice, but that doesn’t mean I’m an Apple hater) so I read him as looking for a lower cost solution, which I offered. The 335 is a fine solution, as far as I know. But for most of us, cost is always a factor in judging what is a ‘better solution’.
Edit. I now see the OP says ‘one box’. If that, not cost, is his primary concern, then I agree, Walt - the 335 is the only one box solution.

Last edited:
I was bored and looked around a bit. The Garmin 335 is cost effective even compared to the Sandia/UAvionix approach I used or the Trig. look at the Installation manual. You need a couple of antennas and cables. All available in one AS shopping cart

Last edited:
I was bored and looked around a bit. The Garmin 335 is cost effective even compared to the bargain basement Sandia/UAvionix approach I used or the Trig. look at the Installation manual. You need a couple of antennas and cables. All available in one AS shopping cart
I listed the cost for a trig TT22 based system, and it’s a few hundred dollars less than the 335. The real savings can be had going the UAT route, because good, solid Garmin mode C 327’s can be had for $500. The market is flooded with them, traded in for mode S-ES units.

I listed the cost for a trig TT22 based system, and it’s a few hundred dollars less than the 335. The real savings can be had going the UAT route, because good, solid Garmin mode C 327’s can be had for $500. The market is flooded with them, traded in for mode S-ES units.
The 327 was a fine unit but has been around a long time, not really economical to repair anymore (I have to adjust output frequency on at least half the units that I test because they drift). The new units seem to be bulletproof so far (just don’t run them without an antenna connected).