DanBaier

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin GTX 320A with a Garmin 430W installed. I think my easiest path to ADSB out is to install a mode S transponder. Has anyone with a 320 upgraded? If so, to what unit? (I assume that nothing is out there that is rack swappable.)

Thanks,

Dan

There is nothing available that is "plug n play" compatible, you will have to change the rack/wiring. I've installed a number of Trig TT31 units in customers aircraft and I also have one in my own aircraft and have been very happy with it. The Garmin 330ES is a nice unit as well but is much higher priced than the trig unit (the trig will also accept any data stream for position so you can use it with any GPS unlike the 330 at least until 2020).

The racks on the Trig and Garmin units are much longer than the 320A so you will have to cut a hole in your sub panel if one is not already there.

I have also assisted with ADS-B installations involving the Trig TT-31 *and* the TT-21/22. Also the Garmin 330ES to a lesser extent.

A couple of points.

1. If you had a Garmin 330, upgrading to the 330ES is probably your cheapest route. That and your 430W and should be "good to go". <I know of a 330 that is available.>
2. If you had had a KT-76 that died, you could plug in the TT-31 and use it as a basic transponder until you were ready to install the TRIG tray for the ADS-B.
3. If you have space constraints, the TT-21/22 can be attached as a REMOTE device for some EFIS systems *OR* can be installed with a 2 1/4" control head otherwise.

My TT-22 is currently being fed by my Garmin 496 (I had the GPS OUT wire easily available).