flion

Well Known Member
I'm hoping Mel or someone equally knowledgeable will chime in to answer this dumb question. For the purpose of doing transponder checks, do I count as the manufacturer per 91.413? Not sure I want to shell out for the equipment, but curiosity got to me.

You are not the manufacturer.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...-questions/transponder-and-pitot-static-tests

The FAR’s authorize the "manufacturer" of the aircraft to conduct the tests However, the builder of an amateur-built aircraft does not meet the FAA’s definition of a manufacturer. The FAA, in Order 8130.2, defines a manufacturer as a Production Approval Holder (PAH). Some examples of a PAH would be the holder of a Production Certificate (PC), a Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA), and Technical Standards Order Authorization (TSOA). An amateur builder does not fit this definition. Thus, the amateur-builder cannot perform the transponder and pitot/static tests on his/her homebuilt.

I will confirm what has already been said. For purposes of the transponder check, an Amateur-Builder does not qualify as the Aircraft Manufacturer.