hydroguy2

Well Known Member
On our recent trip to Utah, I requested flight following. Salt Lake Center said to squawk 6201(or something like that) I dialed in 6201 on my Garmin 320. A few minutes later Center says N155BK we're showing 3201 for you, check your transponder. I turned it off and back on, pressed indent...but no change. They said that's okay, just leave it there. Did the same thing on the return trip.

I have an appointment with Aerotronics in Billings next week to get it all checked, but am wondering....what might be wrong? Is this a normal failure mode for transponders?

....what might be wrong? Is this a normal failure mode for transponders?

Might be a simple case of a bad mechanical rotary switch contact (slight corrosion) due to lack of use (i.e. the transponder spends all of its time squawking 1200).

With the transponder in "SBY", you might try cycling each switch from 0 through 7 several times,, then squawk "ALT" and see if the problem has cleared up.

--
Joe

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to fly to work tomorrow so maybe I'll spin the knobs around for a while.

I could hook my cordless drill to it and generate some friction. :D

You were trying to send a 6, which is 4+2, and you were actually sending 3, which is 2+1. Something has spun in your selector, I suspect. Or put another way, shift happens. :)

I'm sorry, all I can think of now is the movie Clue: 1+2+1+1

Wadsworth: The game's up, Scarlet. There are no more bullets left in that gun.

Miss Scarlet: Oh, come on, you don't think I'm gonna fall for that old trick?

Wadsworth: It's not a trick. There was one shot at Mr. Boddy in the Study; two for the chandelier; two at the Lounge door and one for the singing telegram.

Miss Scarlet: That's not six.

Wadsworth: One plus two plus two plus one.

Miss Scarlet: Uh-uh, there was only one shot that got the chandelier. That's one plus two plus *one* plus one.

Wadsworth: Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus *two* plus one plus one.

Miss Scarlet: Okay, fine. One plus two plus one... Shut up! The point is, there is one bullet left in this gun and guess who's gonna get it!

Last edited:
Aerotronics found the problem with my transponder
IMG_20130423_101318_502_zpsc4c25add.jpg

Oh wait that's not mine.

I saw a weather window and dumped a day of work to head to Aerotronics in Billings(KBIL) to have a VFR pitot check and check out the problem with my bad squawk code.

Heading towards the Crazy Mtns
IMG_20130423_085535_313_zps7e038ea4.jpg

Pic by Greg Painter of the Crazy's
fe9346889946f333ec7f79b38781e0ce_zps5e0af260.jpg

Had a pretty stiff and gusty crosswind upon arrival KBIL. My friends said "nice job, you earned that one" then on the ground but rowing the stick and pedals I said "Hang on, we're not done yet." All was well but more work than I have done in the RV so far. Landing 28R winds were 210 @18G23.

Just like some of you predicted dirty corrosion on the contacts. we found that within 10minutes of pulling in the hangar. As I twisted the knobs, they started to work properly. But to be sure they pulled it and took it to the bench, where they popped it open and cleaned everything. the offending tumbler was black. all are shiny copper now. While Jason worked on that, we got the nickel tour. what a place. we saw glass panels being built for Cubs or Evolutions. Next they were set up for the pitot static check, while we borrowed a car and

headed to HeliProz. Here's Greg drooling on the heli-cam FPV platforms. For fun, He does a lot of extreme snowmobile and desert racing video and is always looking for new gear. Check this out...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dO-QdPmcXI. Also he did the BigSkyAir Race 2011. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=APjiebmV6DY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=APjiebmV6DY
IMG_20130423_105957_409_zpsa6ae49e3.jpg

Back at Aerotronics, I braced myself for the bill. I was shocked and told them so. ......$145, to repair a transponder AND pitot check AND adjust my Dynon to report with 40'. GREAT JOB, Aerotronics!...actually I think they liked having Aurora in the shop, so might have got the shiny airplane discount.

Ordered my new panel....wake up Toto...maybe next year. They have some amazing stuff.
IMG_20130423_124453_233_zps1afa648a.jpg

Last edited: