Ron B.

Well Known Member
Helping with a new RV-14A. With only three flights and being told ground is not seeing the us, looking for areas to check as to why. This plane has a G3X and GTX45R. Once we enter a transponder code and get the unit to display ALT , I’m noticing it’s not displaying the “R” next to the ALT indication as I see in my 14. I’m sorry I don’t know much on this subject to be more discriptive .
Thanks

Not an expert by any means, but not seeing the "R" along with the ATC reports of inop, would have me looking at the antenna and the coax for problems/issues.

I would definitely be starting by looking at the connections to your transponders aerial as the first port of call.

Keep us updated

Last edited:
Helping with a new RV-14A. With only three flights and being told ground is not seeing the us, looking for areas to check as to why. This plane has a G3X and GTX45R. Once we enter a transponder code and get the unit to display ALT , I’m noticing it’s not displaying the “R” next to the ALT indication as I see in my 14. I’m sorry I don’t know much on this subject to be more discriptive .
Thanks

Does this imply that ground isn’t seeing the transponder, but once in flight it’s being seen ok?

Right on the mark. I did not have anything to do with this build. One has to install the antenna on the outside of the aircraft, not just laying inside the tail.
Thanks for your help. We will be test flying again later today.
Ron

Right on the mark. I did not have anything to do with this build. One has to install the antenna on the outside of the aircraft, not just laying inside the tail.
Thanks for your help. We will be test flying again later today.
Ron

Antenna connected to the coax, and the coax to the transponder, but the antenna was just laying inside the tail?

I've seen a lot of things, but that's a first...